Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Applique when fabric too small to turn under

Applique when fabric too small to turn under

Hi ladies. I saw the BOM for The The Rasberry Rabbits and I got everything ready like buying the fabric, cutting my large background squares and everything. However, the designer used Wool but I am very allergic to wool and I wanted to make it in fabric. When I go to turn the fabric over for freezer paper/starch applique where the bunnies legs are the turn over part is too small. I think with needle turn method it may work and of course it would work with the steam a seam. Do you ladies have any other suggestions? I am new at applique and the only method I have used is freezer paper/starch but this may force me to expand my horizons. Thanks for your help. I am putting up a link so you can see what I mean http://www.theraspberryrabbits.com/e.../handhfebp.pdf

Try cutting a straight line between the legs and the foot on the ground and then make small cuts to the legs, and then turn under. Like you would do on a circle. I hope this helps and isn't clear as mud.

Blog Entries
    all you need to do is add a seam allowance (turn under allowance) to your applique pieces- if using freezer paper cut the shapes out of the freezer paper- press to the fabric= add 1/8"=1/4" around the piece as you cut it out- then you can use that technique- if you already cut your pieces out to the (wool sizes) you will have pieces that are smaller- if you do needle turn-
    fusable is an option- but difficult to add after the pieces are already cut out.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    all you need to do is add a seam allowance (turn under allowance) to your applique pieces- if using freezer paper cut the shapes out of the freezer paper- press to the fabric= add 1/8"=1/4" around the piece as you cut it out- then you can use that technique- if you already cut your pieces out to the (wool sizes) you will have pieces that are smaller- if you do needle turn-
    fusable is an option- but difficult to add after the pieces are already cut out.
    I usually use the freezer paper method. I think you'll like it.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I take a small amount of fabric glue add water and paint brush onto the fraying edge. Just the tiniest little bit or it will make the fabric too stiff. It acts as a fray check in a pinch. The fabric glue is permanant and will never wash out. You could cut the pattern down. http://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-pi...lique-lessons/ Here's a link to all you ever need to know about applique. If you look through these she has a tip on those inside points. Theres a few videos and several tutorials. Good luck!

http://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-pi...tle-heart.html

Heres where she talks about inner points and shares a product tip.

Blog Entries
    you could try the method that eleanor burns teaches... sew stitch witchery to the right side, put a slit in the witchery, turn and iron it down.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate your answers and the link was great! Keep the ideas coming please....