Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Appliquing stems >

Appliquing stems

Appliquing stems

Old 01-28-2020, 12:27 PM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,860
Default Appliquing stems

Help! I'm not sure if I need to applique these, or if I can use piping or just take a 1-inch strip of fabric folded in three to make the stems / vines.

Here's what I am doing ... I have the pattern, and it just says to applique them - haha ... not very helpful! Any ideas - besides hand-applique - I won't do that!



MarionsQuilts is offline  
Old 01-28-2020, 01:14 PM
  #2  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 10,568
Default

I think if you are working by machine only your best bet is to make bias stems. You sew a bias strip of fabric into a tube then you can use special bias bars, or heat resistant wire ties (which you can pick up in any auto parts store) in the width you want your stems to be to turn your seam to the back of the stem which will be against your background fabric. I would use elmers washable school glue to adhere them while you sew them down. You need to make them on the bias because stems usually have curves in them to make them more visually interesting.

Here is a tutorial but only one of many on the internet. https://lynetteandersondesigns.typep...y-entry-3.html

Last edited by feline fanatic; 01-28-2020 at 01:16 PM.
feline fanatic is offline  
Old 01-28-2020, 01:15 PM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tn
Posts: 5,231
Default

You can use a bias strip folded in half. Machine stitch 1/4 inch from folded side. Trim the raw edges a bit. Then press folded edge over your trimmed side and stitch close to the fold
cjsews is offline  
Old 01-28-2020, 01:19 PM
  #4  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,860
Default

I was trying to add a picture and the phone rang, and it timed out ... this is what I have
Attached Thumbnails flowers-applique.jpg  
MarionsQuilts is offline  
Old 01-28-2020, 01:31 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Rosemere, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 304
Default

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
You can use a bias strip folded in half. Machine stitch 1/4 inch from folded side. Trim the raw edges a bit. Then press folded edge over your trimmed side and stitch close to the fold
Thanks for that cjsews! I'd never heard of that technique before. Will certainly try it!
Patricia Drew is offline  
Old 01-28-2020, 01:35 PM
  #6  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,860
Default

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I think if you are working by machine only your best bet is to make bias stems. You sew a bias strip of fabric into a tube then you can use special bias bars, or heat resistant wire ties (which you can pick up in any auto parts store) in the width you want your stems to be to turn your seam to the back of the stem which will be against your background fabric. I would use elmers washable school glue to adhere them while you sew them down. You need to make them on the bias because stems usually have curves in them to make them more visually interesting.

Here is a tutorial but only one of many on the internet. https://lynetteandersondesigns.typep...y-entry-3.html
Thanks for this ... next question - how would you sew it down? zigzag stitch? or one seam on each side?
MarionsQuilts is offline  
Old 01-28-2020, 02:58 PM
  #7  
Super Member
 
juliasb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Waterford Michigan
Posts: 5,832
Default

After looking at the gorgeous quilt I would follow the instructions on creating the stems. Other methods my not give you the results you are seeking. I know it is a lot of work for just the stems but the finished quilt will be worth the efforts. I would however secure them with Elmer's School Glue before I started the applique.
juliasb is offline  
Old 01-28-2020, 03:03 PM
  #8  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,860
Default

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
After looking at the gorgeous quilt I would follow the instructions on creating the stems. Other methods my not give you the results you are seeking. I know it is a lot of work for just the stems but the finished quilt will be worth the efforts. I would however secure them with Elmer's School Glue before I started the applique.
There are no instructions lol - that's why I am asking - it just says to applique the stems - not very helpful at all! For me, appliquing the stems means putting fusible applique on them - but I don't think that's what should happen!

Thanks!

MarionsQuilts is offline  
Old 01-28-2020, 03:23 PM
  #9  
Power Poster
 
nativetexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: home again, after 27 yrs!
Posts: 19,388
Default

they wont' move on you much of you do the main folded part on one side as suggested, then machine stitch holding that part out of the way, then stitch that down by hand. can slip stitch if necessary. Watch some videos. Lovely quilt!!
nativetexan is offline  
Old 01-28-2020, 10:32 PM
  #10  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 8,093
Default

Here's how I like to do bias stems. You can also sew the first half on by machine, then do the rest by hand. I've found it doesn't take that much longer to do by hand, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJ2K4Ynsiw
Peckish is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.