Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Appreciation for the "scrappy quilt"

It's been my experience that we quilters, in general, like the scrappy look, while non quilters tend to like the more planned out and repetitive colors of a standard quilt. Have you noticed this too, or do I hang out in an unusual crowd? :)

Blog Entries
    i'm a quilter. while i love the scrappy look, i prefer a 'planned' quilt with same fabrics in same areas. i love looking at ALL quilts

Yes...I think that you're right. Personally, I love scrap quilts the most. I appreciate taking a bunch of nothing (throw away scraps,) and making something beautiful and useful(a gorgeous quilt.)

~ Cindy

Blog Entries
    Actually, I like them both. For me, it depends more on the quilt design and fabrics chosen.

I'm a quilter, have been for way more years than I haven't been, and while I appreciate your admiration for scrappy quilts, I personally don't like them much at all. I much prefer planned designs with specific fabric placement no matter what the quilt type...traditional or not so much.

As a quilter, I have to say that scrappy messes with my OCD mind....so all of my projects have definition and symetry....I know, BORING.....but sometimes too much 'color' actually gives me a headache.

I LOVE scrappy! Even if I am making a more planed quilt it is still scrappy. For example I am making ablue and yellow snowball quilt, but there a lots of different blues and yellows prints :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I prefer to make scrap quilts myself; but, I love what other quilters do with planned fabrics and designs.

I like scrappy. When I'm making a scrap quilt I am reminded of the other projects the scraps came from.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by tropit
    Yes...I think that you're right. Personally, I love scrap quilts the most. I appreciate taking a bunch of nothing (throw away scraps,) and making something beautiful and useful(a gorgeous quilt.)

~ Cindy
    Ditto!

Tend not to care for scrappy. But also don't like quilts where the blocks are all planed and marching in even rows! I guess planned chaos or planned disorder or flowy quilts (like bargello) are my favorite.

I never cared for 'traditional' quilt patterns in the past, tho now starting to appreciate them. I was originally drawn to quilting because of the 'art quilts', landscape quilts, and watercolor quilts but mostly I love to work with scraps. My tastes might change again but right now I just LOVE scrappy quilts.

I love the look of scrappy quilts on white background.

I love scrappy, too! I like order in my quilts, so I like to put lots of different fabrics in the pattern I choose. But, I love 2 color quilts, too! So I guess I like it all!

Put me in the "scrappy" column..If my quilts don't have at least a variety of 30 or 40 different fabrics in them, I get a headache and get bored. I have to have a lot of colors and a lot of patterns in all the quilts I make. A nightmare to me would be making a quilt with like 3 colors. I couldn't get through one block of it.

Blog Entries
    I think we love the scrappy ones because to me they represent
    warmth and love and comfort. Where the more planned and formal ones seemed to be a bit more formal and proper.

Kinda like a formal living room and a great room or den.

Banned
    I just made a scrappy Split Decision and just started the blocks for a bow tie scrappy but - no I am just not fond of scrappy quilts. But I used to toss all but big scraps until a quilt teacher one day saw me and asked didn't I pay $10 a yard for what I just tossed out. I am cheap by nature but prefer quilt shop fabric so I realized I was tossing a lot of money

I'm always amazed at how many compliments I get on the scrappy quilts from non-quilters!

Blog Entries
    I appreciate planned scrappy but prefer to think my quilts through.
    I like a nice overall pattern that is pleasing to my eye.

scrappy lover here
    also like traditional pattern

not much for the art, landscape type quilts. they don't look or feel like a quilt to me

i'm a quilter and i do not like scrappy or string quilts.

i prefer to have thought put into color placement.

I just made a d9p from a guild's kit (for comfort quilts). It was only 3 fabrics - boring! I like lots of different fabrics, and I really like it if someone looks at it and says "I wouldn't have thought to put those together - but it works"!

Not all quilter's love scrappy quilts. Me for one. Many of them look too random to me. I have seen a few I really do like, but they all have one feature in common...very balanced color throughout.

I say a video one where the quilter sewing on her machine, had a bag of scraps, and at random chose one piece after another as she pieced. I know that is a popular way...to be free and go with it, but I would never be able to do that!

I would want the all the colors equally dispersed throughout the quilt. It would be a scrappy quilt, but a "planned/organized" scrappy.

I like some of all types of quilts....some scrappys are just wonderful. Others aren't too great. Same way with the traditional, art, landscape, etc. Probably depends on the color and the overall effect. Some just grab you, depending on your "eye", taste, whatever.

I like a good scrappy quilt with bright colors. I also like planned quilts. maybe 50/50

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast