Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
AQS Paducha Show >

AQS Paducha Show

AQS Paducha Show

Old 03-30-2015, 06:14 PM
Ram

Default AQS Paducha Show

Any suggestions where to stay ? Will be traveling from New England. Would like to be close to the show, perhaps within walking distance, if possible.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:55 PM

Good Luck, I was told that close motels are booked as much as a year in advance. Try contacting their chamber of commerce, for a list and map of their motels.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:10 AM

I'd say you will be lucky if you can get a motel within 20 miles of where the Quilt Show is. There will be people there from all over the world. I have gone many many times, and plan to go this year too. They do have Shuttle buses though, which helps. Have a wonderful time!!
Old 03-31-2015, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

Have you thought of contacting the organization that produces this show. I know when I went to Quilt Market, there was a vast list of information of hotels available and maps of bus routes.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:26 AM

My DD lives in Paducah and we go to the show every year and luckily, stay with her. She is a quilter and arranges her schedule at work so that she can take off a few days and chauffer me and my DH around. I do not remember seeing any motel/hotel near the SHOW (downtown) but there are a bunch of hotels/motels out on the Interstate and there are a million busses that go to them - back and forth to downtown, etc. But, doubt if there are any empty rooms this late. HTH
Old 03-31-2015, 06:06 AM

Yes most hotels are booked a year in advance, sorry to say for the newcomers. I live about an hour east of the show and our hotels in our small town have many quilters staying! Maybe the chamber of commerce might be able to direct you to people who allow quilters stay with them kinda like B&Bs but just for the quilt show. It's an exciting place and time of the year for us who live close enough to drive back and forth every day and we do feel sorry for out-of-staters trying to find lodging!
Old 03-31-2015, 06:14 AM

Sometimes people have to cancel their reservations, so it would not hurt to try for a room now.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:05 AM

I think you are going to have a hard time finding a place now. Usually you need to find a place by early January. You might try looking in Metropolis (home of Superman, lol!). It's right across the river in Illinois. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

Unless you make the reservation for the next year when you check out then it's impossible to find a room even in January. Most of the hotels/motels will say they won't take reservations that far in advanced even though they do take them when you sign out. I find that annoying. I usually stay east or north of Paducah in a motel that has normal rates and drive the half hour to get to the show everyday. I go alone so don't have to compromise my time or what I want to do to fit what others want to do. I can't go this year because my DD is having surgery but kept my room. A friend is going to be me this trip. LOL

Last edited by Onebyone; 03-31-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Any suggestions where to stay ? Will be traveling from New England. Would like to be close to the show, perhaps within walking distance, if possible.
As the others have said, there really aren't hotels within walking distance, and you do need to reserve quite far in advance. My friend Cindi was on a standby list for 9 months, fortunately there was a cancellation and she was able to get a room. You can try to get on a standby list, but at this late date you'll be at the bottom and chances are slim to none that you'll get a room this year.

There are shuttles (well, enormous Greyhound buses) that pick people up at various hotels around town and drop them off at the show, Hancock's, Eleanor Burns's place, and other quilt show-affiliated locations. However, we ended up missing 2 of the buses because they were so full we couldn't get on, and were stuck for 4 hours at one location until finally a bus with a few empty seats came by.