Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
AQS Quilt Week GR ? >

AQS Quilt Week GR ?

AQS Quilt Week GR ?

Old 06-08-2016, 07:55 PM

Default AQS Quilt Week GR ?

I will be going to Quilt Week in Grand Rapids & am wondering if there will be a shuttle service available.
I'll be in MI 8/6-14 & staying with my brother in Coopersville. My SIL will probably go to the show with me 1 day & I may go a 2nd day. Have not lived in Hudsonville/GR for 20 yrs so I am hesitant about driving downtown. I am going to purchase a 2-day ticket early & wondered if I could also do a 2 day ticket for my SIL & poss. a cousin. Have not been to a big show before & would appreciate any tips you may have. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:37 PM
Power Poster

Don't carry too big a bag or wear a backpack in the show. If it's crowded you will get knocked this way and that with a big bag on. Found that out the hard way in Paducah. Next time I'm only going to take one of those skinny flat crossover bags with the bare essentials in it. The shows usually have a package check area to leave your purchases.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

Take a look to see if the show's management has that information posted on their web site. If not, contact them with your question. I know when I went to Quilt Market, they had all sort of bus schedules posted on their site.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:23 AM

You won't be allowed to take a rolling cart into the display or vender areas.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

I would contact the DeVos Place Convention Center. They should be able to tell you. I've gone to this show every year, but stayed downtown. I've not seen a shuttle, but that doesn't mean they don't have one. As long as there is no road construction, GR is a pretty easy town to drive. Comfortable shoes & clothes are a must, a smaller cross body bag is a better idea than a large tote or backpack. Bring a camera. I also take a small notebook & pen. I jot down ideas from quilts I've seen and also write down booth numbers. If I want to go back and purchase something, I can never find the booth again! If you do shop a lot, there is a package pickup service near the door for a small fee. No food or drink is allowed in, but there are places to eat in the center.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:12 AM

The Devoss center has an underground parking garage with easy access to the show. That worked out great the two times I went to the show. You can look up the Devoss center and get directions.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:35 PM

I take a large shoulder tote with me.

rolling cart: You can park it at package pick up for a small fee and go back and forth to load up your rolling tote.

Before I go I check out the online vendor list to make sure I visit the booths I am most interested in. Many vendors are online so you can preview their take on quilting, machines, patterns and notions. Also this helps if you are looking for specific items.

I did not attend last year, but the previous two years had decent food vendors and eating area.

Last edited by thrums; 06-09-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:08 PM

It may benefit you to become an aqs member. I believe the membership is $20 or $25. You receive their magazine, 10% discount to joann fabrics and a discount on aqs quilt show admission and classes. When I renewed in the spring I also received a $10 gift certificate and 30% an iquilt class. I received an e-mail on 5-26 for early registration for classes at grand rapids. I think it will open to everyone next week. Prices for show daily $10.08 member $12.60 non member, 2 day $18 mem $23 non mem, multi-day $23 mem $32 non mem. You can order all the tickets with one order. You print your tickets/name badge and no standing in line. Food is available at show. Has been a very nice show the past 3 yrs. Lots of quilts and vendors. Have fun!
Old 06-09-2016, 07:18 PM

Thank you for all of the tips! I will take your advise, Jswolf & join AQS. That would be helpful. Paper Princess, I will cross my fingers on the construction. I'm excited but I know I can do the driving. I lived there for 40 yrs, I'll just have to take my time. 2 yrs ago I left MI in a blizzard & drove back to CO. Thanks again!! Maybe I would be able to meet some of you if you go.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:29 PM

My advise is take lots of money, and will power!