Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Arrrrrrrggghhhhhhh....!!!!!! >

Arrrrrrrggghhhhhhh....!!!!!!

Arrrrrrrggghhhhhhh....!!!!!!

Old 01-02-2011, 02:48 AM

OMG!

Originally Posted by cathyvv
Who-eeee! That might have gotten at least a stern look out of me!

One New Years Eve my DH went into the garage and got a can of black spray paint. He was feeling pretty good (no drinking, he just felt full of himself) so came up stairs to flirt with me a bit - you know, high school type show off stuff from a 35 year old male.

He stood next to his baby grand piano, rolled the spray paint can from one hand to the other. When I protested, saying that it could really cause a mess if he dropped it, he started tossing it from hand to hand.

You guessed right. HE MISSED the catch. The spray paint hit the right angle of the trim on the leg of the piano. The point of the trim pierced the spray paint can.

Then we watched as the spray paint can 'self-propelled' itself with the paint leaking from the puncture in the can - all the way across the hardwood floor, toward the steps.

DH gathered his wits (or lost them again, to this day I'm not sure which!) when the spray paint reached the top step, He started to run toward the steps, slipped on the wet paint that had just sprayed all over the floor and fell on his butt just short of going over the stair rail. As for me, I just said the first thing that came to mind, "Oh, S*it!"

Then there was nothing either of us could do but watch as the spray paint rolled down eacg steps, on a direct course to an unscheduled 'repaint of his BROTHERS prized juke box. (His brother didn't have room for it in his house.)

The spray paint can 'sprayed it's last' on the bottom step and rolled a foot or two, then stopped. It missed the juke box...

All that happened in 4 - 6 seconds, but it seemed to happen in slow motion. When the paint stopped rolling, I looked at DH and said, "If one of the kids did that, you'd be having a fit. I don't want to hear any BS from you about this."

Being a smart woman, I rounded up the kids and took them out to eat while he cleaned up his mess and bemoaned and cursed his fate.

He did a reasonably good clean up job, but the hardwood really needed to be redone and the house stunk of turpentine. 15 years later, we finally redid the hardwood floors.

We laugh about it now...
Old 01-02-2011, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

Great news!!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:33 AM

So sorry. I have rescued some of mine by just soaking and letting them dry flat. Don't rub or agitate the fabric or it will fray. Hope this helps if you can rescue the pieces. Mine is usually coffee.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
why did you throw them out?
tea is not acid...the pieces can be hand washed, and ironed flat... I spin mine in a salad spinner til nearly dry and then iron....if the fabric was prewashed they would not even shrink!
I was thinking about the salad spinner as a possibility - glad someone else came up with it, I don't feel so nuts! :-)
Old 01-02-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I was thinking, well, as long as it wasn't sweet tea just let them dry and sew them together then wash it when it's done. Then I saw that you're from Tennessee----of course, it was sweet tea! That's why I only use plastic bottles with caps on them. And to be environmentally friendly I wash and use the same bottle over and over.
Bottles with caps was my answer to this delemma, also. Never know when the elbow will hit the unexpected! Also, I would take the material from the trash and soak in cold water, agitate with a little soap/shampoo/stain remover/whatever, lay to dry and iron. If it hasn't been so long for it to dry out and set the stain, should work. Even then the stain remover should cover it.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:58 AM

Re the spray paint "disaster" --

I laughed out loud, imagining this scene! Even though I wasn't there, it reminds me of the time my dad tried to move a step ladder while he was painting the kitchen: you have no idea how far a gallon of paint will go when dropped from that height!

Jory
Old 01-03-2011, 12:46 PM

I know this will not help now but it reminded me of a quilting book called Little Quilts. Tea Dyeing to help age your quilt. 1 large bowl-2 quarts hot tap water-6to 8 tea bags. Steep tea bags in hot water for 15 minutes . Add quilt and soad in the tea soulution 15 to 39 minutes , etc. I hope you were able to finish yours. jijax79
Old 01-03-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy2sew
Dd feels bad enough and I didnt need to make a scene but I sure feel like crying.
New rule: NO food or drinks allowed in my sewing area.
Thanks for listening to me vent,
Cindy
Good girl for handling this with patience. She already feels bad enough. Bless both of you. Great new rule! Good job all around.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by penski
so sorry to hear that , i started my first rule for my sewing room was no one lese beside me brings a drink into my sewing room , the second rule was no one uses my scissors for anything!!!, still adding a few more as i go along !!
I have the same rule about my scissors! I now understand why my mom used to get so upset when my brother and I used to grab her good dress shears for
cutting everything in the house except fabric!

Cindy
Old 01-16-2011, 09:44 AM

Sorry for your loss! I don't even allow myself to have a drink in my sewing area....even water!