Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Art Quilters? >

Art Quilters?

Art Quilters?

Old 04-14-2012, 05:57 AM

WoW! Judebug, I am impressed. You picked wonderful prints to bring out your design. Thanks for the photo that shows your beginning. It shows me I need to bring the designs out that are floating in my head. Last night I watched a program about sea life in the deep ocean and all I could think of was gorgeous designs I could interpret into fabric. ...need to do! Oh yeah, I love white/black/yellow.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:06 AM

Quiltgal, I love your kitty, especially his/her tail... fluffy.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:45 AM

Thanks for you comments re my pieces and I am going to play with some of your suggestions re flattening the over stuffed pieces. And duh! i had never thought to settle down with some beads etc. That would be perfect to add some more texture and depth! I will go to work on that idea..........
Your comments in terms of what I was attempting to achieve are spot on so I must have communicated those well. I appreciate your taking the time to look and comment.

That yellow black is awesome. So much movement and yet a perverse sort of continuity too. I enjoyed your fabric choices. People rarely use yellow so it is good to see a lively inventive block that really works. It seems to draw a person right into the vortex but with your choice of pattern it is a controlled manner. Well done with the time you spent playing and creating.
It looks like that was machine appliqued? i will run out an shoot myself if you tell me it was pieced........
Old 04-16-2012, 05:08 PM

Default Irish Jig (black/white and Green)

Suzie your last comment about applique made me laugh out loud! These color challenges I am doing currently are all using lightweight fusible. I considered hand piecing these for about 30 seconds and said forget it! It could be done, but my goal here is challenging myself on this new design process, fabric choices and texture. Because all the pieces are raw edged, I am machine quilting every piece for durability.

Thanks for all the positive comments from everyone and your participation in this continuing saga online...

Quiltgal, I love the cat quilt. It reminds me of Oriental brush paintings that use simple spare lines to speak so eloquently. Nice job!

Here is my green challenge quilt I finished yesterday. I'll bind my red one tonight. I still have blue, violet and orange in the wings. Needless to say, I'm getting little else done that I should be but I'm sure having fun.
Attached Thumbnails img_0419.jpg  
Old 04-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

Judebug--thanks for sharing your design process. There is a certain symmetry in your finished quilts created with assymetrical blocks.
I like the zen like feeling in the cat quilt.
I have started planning a geometric, but only wish there was enough time to get it all done!
Old 04-17-2012, 06:09 PM

Default "Crosswalk" (black/white and red theme)

Just so you all know, I don't regularly produce little quilts this quickly but since I'd done all my drafting for six 12" quilts ahead of time, now I'm just translating it all to fabric. Now that I think about it, assembly type work is usually fairly speedy once the preliminaries are laid out in advance. Maybe I should work like this more often! Anyway, here is my Red piece. I call it "Crosswalk" in reference to the stop signs/lights at intersections.
Attached Thumbnails img_0424.jpg  
Old 04-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Power Poster

It certainly is a traffic stopper....great fabrics and design.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:19 AM

Nice Judebug,

I am surprised you considered piecing for as long as 30 seconds. Would have been 3 for me. Your experiments are coming out super and don't need piecing to achieve a great effect to be used later no doubt.

That red is positively 3D from here. I keep trying to achieve that and can learn from you use of color and repeated shape.

Now I have a Q about the green. It looks as though the dark green triangles don't make for much contrast. Is this true in the real article? Love all else but those triangles seem like effort w/o too much gain. And are those buttons in the middle of the pinwheels? They certainly give it jazz. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:59 AM

Yes Suzie, the solid dark green triangles were intentional. I didn't want to eliminate any of the sections of my drafted design so instead of opting for black (which would have disappeared entirely), I chose a subtle supportive green. Anything lighter would have detracted from the 3D background I've been envisioning for these pieces. So thanks for noticing the 3D especially in the red, which I think was the most successful in this regard. Also, I was sooooo flippin' happy to find exactly 4 of those old green and white buttons in my stash. I love the extra feeling of spinning pinwheels they make. My pack rat tendencies emerged at an early age so you can imagine that as I approach my 60's, I need to be using up some of this 'stuff'! ha.

A side note here: On the red Crosswalk piece I almost didn't add the white rice shaped sections but I cut them and laid them all out and discovered the extra dimension they added in pushing the black and white plaids into the background made it well worth the addition. I'm learning how immensely relevant fabric choice is in translating a quilter's artistic vision. It is our paintbrush so to speak. I've purposely kept the quilting subdued in these experiments but thread color and quilt design could affect the outcome even more if I wanted it to. For me, all of these are about the fabric and design method... (which I will describe after I've done all my pieces if the readers are interested.)

April is half over. Come on ladies, lets see your work.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:49 AM

[QUOTE=Judebug;5151206] ... Also, I was sooooo flippin' happy to find exactly 4 of those old green and white buttons in my stash. I love the extra feeling of spinning pinwheels they make. My pack rat tendencies emerged at an early age so you can imagine that as I approach my 60's, I need to be using up some of this 'stuff'! ha.

A side note here: On the red Crosswalk piece I almost didn't add the white rice shaped sections but I cut them and laid them all out and discovered the extra dimension they added in pushing the black and white plaids into the background made it well worth the addition.

I'm learning how immensely relevant fabric choice is in translating a quilter's artistic vision. It is our paintbrush so to speak.

I've purposely kept the quilting subdued in these experiments but thread color and quilt design could affect the outcome even more if I wanted it to. For me, all of these are about the fabric and design method... (which I will describe after I've done all my pieces if the readers are interested.)

April is half over. Come on ladies, lets see your work. [/QUOTE

Yes, it is nearing the end of April but I am so enjoying drinking in all that I am learning on this thread. Thank you so much. I will either be trying to catch up on the challenges OR jumping in here one of these days to apply all that I am learning!