Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Art Quilters? >

Art Quilters?

Art Quilters?

Old 12-08-2011, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
I am really glad this thread has reappeared, it would be nice to be able to make a permanent thread or whatever it is called from this one. I enjoy seeing everyone's quilts and also am wanting to do up my own art quilts. I haven't done many and they are gone now, so would like to get started again and I think this thread will help!
I think having a permanent thread for Art Quilts is an excellent idea but I'm an inexperienced member on the Quilting Board so I have no clue what is required to make that happen. I'm embarrassed to admit I can't even figure out how to attach some photos... so anyone out there who can help me out here, please jump in.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:45 AM

I do both traditional and art quilts. My avatar is an art quilt and I have 2 small ones in progress now that I will post at some point. I also have a Hugh one I started and put aside until I have better skills. Will get back to that one soon too.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:32 PM

I read your blog on journal quilting Judebug and enjoyed it. I was just about to toss the first one until you convinced me to keep at it. I can't seem to figure out where I'm going with it or where I'll be when I get there. It was an experiment in mystyfuse and embroidery and FMQ. Still is quite experimental in every sense of the word. Thanks for the encouragement.

MissTreated I enjoyed your pretty quilts also. The one with the man at the window is very creative! When you look close he looks very harmless but you have to be willing to look. Mostly I've just seen him in my dreams. Good job!
Old 12-08-2011, 07:02 PM

Yea I do Love Art Quilts and Artsy Things as well.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:09 PM

I'm curious to try some 'artsy' methods. I feel like there is some creative way to use leftover threads from my bobbins. Any ideas? Please share.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:11 PM

I'm curious about making 'artsy' quilts too. I have wondered how to creatively use all the leftover thread from my bobbins on such a project. Any ideas?
Old 12-08-2011, 08:23 PM

Lightbulb Using Solvy, Misty Fuse or Temporary Stabilizers to create 'fabric'

Originally Posted by leggz48 View Post
I'm curious about making 'artsy' quilts too. I have wondered how to creatively use all the leftover thread from my bobbins on such a project. Any ideas?
I encourage all of you readers to take advantage of Google (Images) as a visual resource to get ideas of what is being done and perhaps linking you to posts on How To's in techniques that interest you. I Googled Images, Solvy Scarf - looked over the photos that drew my attention and clicked on this one... I lucked out. It connected me to a great blog post that anyone could follow. http://www.artisticartifacts.com/blog/?p=324

I'm sharing this so others can do their own 'research' in a similar fashion and start trying something new from the inspiration available online.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:04 AM

Red face Two Recent Art Quilts

The floral one is 12" square. Background fabric was created by weaving two different hand dyed cottons. All the flowers were made from the trimmed selvage ends of a batik jelly roll. The largest flower center is a Fimo Art Clay cabochon. I couched a Japanese Kumihimo braid around the quilt edge for texture.

My "Double Trouble" cats fishing quilt is one of my favorite original designs. It just won a Blue Ribbon People's Choice for Favorite Cat Theme at our local Friends of Pets fundraiser. I bought the quilt back because I loved it so much.
Attached Thumbnails img_0938_2.jpg   img_0768.jpg  

Last edited by Judebug; 12-10-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:22 AM

Well I figured out how to post a photo but my attempt to resize smaller failed. Bear with me as I learn through trial and error.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:40 AM

I have done a small piece (still a WIP) and it's something I would like to do more of. Thanks for starting this thread