Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Art Quilters? >

Art Quilters?

Art Quilters?

Old 12-15-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma58 View Post
Smooch is a paint I got at Ben Franklin, no heat setting. It has a very fine brush which was perfect for the edges of the poppy. The day I went to Ben Franklin I bought every kind of paint stuff that thought could be potentially useful. I liked the Smooch best. Have not used it for anything else though. I think it is a scrapbooking thing?
Thanks, Grandma58. I don't think there are any Ben Franklins nearby. Would any fabric paint using a fine brush work as well?
Old 12-15-2011, 05:45 AM

Smooch is a pearlized pigmented ink that comes in a nail polish type bottle with a foam applicator. It works on paper, glass, clay, cardstock, fabric, wood, etc, is acid-free, archival, and dries fast. It also comes as a 'spritz', a small spray bottle. It's made by Clearsnap, originally for scrapbooking uses.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:39 AM

"Why Quilts Matter: History, Art and Politics" is a series that will be shown on PBS next month and is now available for purchase online at amazon.com and others (for those who can't want and want extra features available only on the DVD). There is a segment that grapples with the topic of what is art and what makes a quilt art? It is an extremely thought-provoking DVD and is an excellent addition to any art quilter's library.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Extreme Quilter View Post
"Why Quilts Matter: History, Art and Politics" is a series that will be shown on PBS next month and is now available for purchase online at amazon.com and others (for those who can't want and want extra features available only on the DVD). There is a segment that grapples with the topic of what is art and what makes a quilt art? It is an extremely thought-provoking DVD and is an excellent addition to any art quilter's library.
Depending on where you are, this series may be scheduled for future airing, is already in progress, has been completed, or may not be shown at all. It depends entirely on what your local PBS station arrangements are.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:38 AM

This thread has been so helpful for me; I want to do an art quilt for the Hoffman Challenge...I may be biting off more than I can chew...I have always loved art quilts but have not ventured to try one. I have been reading and collecting info etc and sometimes I am intimidated...but I will do this and this thread has been so helpful so thank you...
Old 12-18-2011, 04:52 PM

Start with a postcard sized piece it is small and not so intimidating. Play, make stuff up, use things you hate, use things you love, use everything imaginable. Start!
Originally Posted by TFquilter View Post
This thread has been so helpful for me; I want to do an art quilt for the Hoffman Challenge...I may be biting off more than I can chew...I have always loved art quilts but have not ventured to try one. I have been reading and collecting info etc and sometimes I am intimidated...but I will do this and this thread has been so helpful so thank you...
Old 12-22-2011, 01:01 PM

Default So Many Resources, So Little Time!

Please, please, please ~ those of you interested in learning to make art quilts of your own:
1. Imagine yourself doing it! 2. Allow yourself to try. 3. Keep experimenting. 4. Have fun with it!
There is nothing right or wrong about your art. The art quilt police aren't going to fine you and take away your supplies. You don't even have to show anyone what you did if it will bother you. Just keep playing. This is for you, not anyone else... at least at this point.

Google! You can get a free education just by searching different topics. Search 'art quilt techniques'. That alone will keep you busy, trying to decide what interests you the most. Books, You Tube videos, blogs, images ~ there are so many resources. Just do it, and every time your head tells you you aren't capable, don't have enough time, money etc. problem solve if you truly want to make an art quilt, and then just Do It. Most of all, HAVE FUN.

This would be a great place to share what you've done, what was difficult or easy to do, etc. Ask for suggestions if needed, this could help all the viewers to learn from. Looking forward to an artful new year!
Old 12-22-2011, 02:03 PM

Quilting Arts magazine is also a fantastic resource. There are techniques and projects in every issue and the website has more than 20 free eBooks which are actually collections of past articles on a particular subject (e.g., fabric painting, binding & finishing, image transfer & photo quilts, etc). I can't provide a link to it due to QB's 'non-competitive' rule, but it's easy enough to find.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:41 PM

I love that magazine and you tube videos.
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Quilting Arts magazine is also a fantastic resource. There are techniques and projects in every issue and the website has more than 20 free eBooks which are actually collections of past articles on a particular subject (e.g., fabric painting, binding & finishing, image transfer & photo quilts, etc). I can't provide a link to it due to QB's 'non-competitive' rule, but it's easy enough to find.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:21 AM

My introduction to art quilting was via this lovely, brilliant, artistic woman: http://artwithaneedle.blogspot.com/

Kathy is the mother of a friend of mine. She's so amazing that I find art quilting intimidating! Nothing I can imagine would hold a candle to her works that have shown all over the globe.
Maybe I will try soon and just not show any of it to her!! LOL

Lovely photos everyone!