Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Asthmatics and spray basting?

Gal
    Just wondering how many of you get on using spray basting, if you are asthmatic?
    I am not good at all with anything which comes in a mist spray type container.
    Would love to hear from others regarding this.

Gal

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Anything I use in an aerosal can makes my asthma act up.

Would it help to use a disposable face mask?

Gal
    Yes I am thinking I will have to do this, but if it works it will sure be a big help.

Gal

If you wore a mask AND sprayed outside AND waited til some of the spray smell dissipated before bringing your project inside THEN you would be okay. Please, those of you who are asthmatics take all precaution to protect yourself from the fumes, we don't want to trigger an attack. Safe and happy quilting to all.

I have to make sure that I open the window and there is lots of fresh air in the room when I'm using the spray. It doesn't help that I have nasal polyps to go along with my asthma so really there are days that i'm just a mess! I only use the spray for small projects but I recently have been using a basting gun instead. Anything to not have to take the inhalers!

Gal
    I can't live without my inhalers! I have to take medication every day!

Gal

I learned a long time ago that I step outside...

I usually go down to the large social room in our bldg. or go out side when I use.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My son is VERY asthmatic. He leaves when I spray baste. It just gives him fits while I'm spraying. He is ok to come back when the spraying is finished.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trif
    If you wore a mask AND sprayed outside AND waited til some of the spray smell dissipated before bringing your project inside THEN you would be okay. Please, those of you who are asthmatics take all precaution to protect yourself from the fumes, we don't want to trigger an attack. Safe and happy quilting to all.
    I totally agree with this, especially with spraying outside.

I use Advair daily, spray outside, and hold my breath when spraying. So far I haven't had a problem. BUT, I know others are a LOT more sensitive than me......so I'd say forget the basteing spray and baste!!!!

I am allergic to chemicals which cause respiratory distress.
    I use the 505 which has the least amount of odor. I place a big sheet of paper in the bathroom and turn on the fan.
    Lay everything in position, hold my breath and spray. The fan takes it right out of the room. I always let the fan run for awhile after I'm finished spraying so it doesn't migrate into the rest of the house. I only do a little at a time. But atleast I have worked out a method that I can tolerate so I can do my machine embroidery.

Blog Entries
    I couldn't use any of these types of products when my late husband was with me. He had 6 different meds in in inhalers and the nebulizer. I had to go outside.

Blog Entries
    I haven''t used aerosols in my house for years because of my asthma. I was very sensitive to all the cleaning compounds at work, especially when the one cleaning lady added
    BLEACH !! to her mop water. Holy cats! I'd go into an asthma attack as soon as she got in the room. Had to sic the bureaucrats on her to get that stopped.
    Now, I use vinegar and baking soda to clean everything at home. No cleaners allowed.
    Starch comes in spray or liquid. I just put the liquid in a spray bottle to use it and hold my breath.
    As for spray baste - I don't use it. Never even looked at it.

Blog Entries
    instead of spray basting maybe it would be better for you to try the fusable batts so you only iron your sandwich together instead of filling your lungs with noxious fumes. i have even used a regular batt that i put fusable web on myself. personally i go ahead and baste my projects i'm going to quilt on the little machine, it doesn't take long, and seems like lots less hassle to me...but i do avoid noxious fumes at all cost.

Gal
    Thankyou all a million for your advise and input.

Gal

For space reasons, I spray baste on a big blue tarp on the driveway---tarp is just for spray basting and not leaves, etc. I am not asthmatic but sensitive to sprays of any kind---they give me bad headaches---and this tskes care of it. Especially if it's a little windy outside!