Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Attended First Beginners Class Yesterday

Blog Entries
    Glad you are enjoying the ride.

Jeff

My uncle was the one male quilter, his work was beautiful!good luck!!!

I had a coworker tell me quilting was for old ladies,and i'm only 30. i told him no, young people quilt, men quilt, I just saw an article on a truck driver the other day that quilts. I guess he started by helping his wife and got hooked. I also saw a young male skateboarder. I think most people don't realize how many different types of people quilt. Good for you for defying those stereotypes.

Cheers for you. You will have a great time at the classes. Don't be afraid to speak up as your ideas are important, too. Can't wait to see what you learned.

Welcome to the world of quilting! Warning: addicting!

Now you are hooked!!!! Keep up the classes and have a wonderful time. Its a great art, and wonderful stress buster

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyPaw
    I see quilting as very similar with wood working. You have to make exact measurements, miter corners and be creative. The only difference is the materials you use and quilting is better because you only really need one machine to do all the beautiful work quilters can do. With wood working the tools never end before you exhaust the space you need for storing them. I like quilting much more.
    Well....... I had the same thought when I started quilting on my old-but-not-vintage Singer. Now there's the Bernina 440QE that I piece with (and used to quilt with), the longarm that I quilt with, the featherweight that I take to classes, the Singer that I used to take to classes before I got the featherweight, the Singer 15 that I picked up at a garage sale before I even knew I wanted a vintage machine, the treadle that I bought and fixed up to learn to treadle on, the 3 treadles and numerous other sewing machines sitting in the garage because I couldn't pass them by... Yes, you're right, you only need one machine because you really CAN do everything with it... but will you?

And that's just talking sewing machines. Then there are rulers, and all the other gadgets... and the fabric - there's a storage problem in itself.

Welcome to the hobby, and try to hold the line on that one sewing machine.

congratulations Rick,
    You are not alone in being a "male quilter"... there are several men on this board that are master quilters.

Power Poster
    Have fun with your class.

Watch out! You'll be adding on a room to house all of your new 'tools'. You'll understand soon enough! As with woodworking, buy the best you can afford. I always tell my beginner classes their spouses would not buy a sorry golf club or drill, etc. You get what you pay for. Be sure to label everything before you go to class. Those rotary cutters, etc. can look alike.
    Enjoy this new chapter in your life. You will find that quilters are very generous with advice. Any questions? Just ask...an answer will come your way. Good luck.

Helen Marie
    Got my first class under the belt yesterday. I was the only man there but it does not challenge my manhood even though some of my male friends have lifted an eyebrow, LOL. The teacher seems like a great person and the other students were cool too.There is 6 students in all. The teach said if we ever run into a problem we are free to contact her and she will help us out. The class meets for 8 weeks once a week for 2 hours.

We went over the color wheel and how to organize colors and the basic tools we need. It was a 2 hour class and it went by fast.

I have learned a lot from this board too for not knowing one end of a tread from the other.

Thanks and blessings to y'all.

keep it up!

You go guy! There are many men who quilt. Any of your friends give y ou a hard time - remind them of Roosevelt Greer, the big old football player who got into needle point.
    I teach a beginners class and have a man in the class right now. For a minute there I thought you might be my student when you said the class meets for 2 hours a session for 8 weeks, but then I saw you were in Kansas.

I am trying my darndest to make sure the guy feels welcome and comfortable. I'd love to take a woodworking shop.
    Tools is tools

So smart to take classes! Don't be afraid to ask ?s because if you have a concern, chances are someone else has the same issue but too afaid to ask.

Hopefully you will be making a sampler to learn different tecniques.

Isn't playing w/fab color fun?

Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting.

Blog Entries
    It is so nice to see you men getting out here! We congratulate you for recognizing quilting as a hobby for everyone, not just women. Enjoy your classes and then stick with us out here...we love to help!

Blog Entries
    Our guild has men in it. In fact, one of them is now our president, and is doing a great job. It takes a special man to not be intimidated by his buddies, if he wants to integrate into a women's group. We welcome all quilters, and encourage newbies and professionals alike. We have many prize winners in our group, and we get along just fine. :-D Please continue with your quilting classes. Who knows? You may one day be teaching one! Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Good for you for going to the class even though your man friends turned up their eyebrows at you! :thumbup:

Quilting is a wonderful hobby that is very rewarding. We look forward to see the things you create! :D
    I see quilting as very similar with wood working. You have to make exact measurements, miter corners and be creative. The only difference is the materials you use and quilting is better because you only really need one machine to do all the beautiful work quilters can do. With wood working the tools never end before you exhaust the space you need for storing them. I like quilting much more.
    Good for you Rick. I'm glad you found a beginners class. My uncle loved to sew. He was an engineer and sewing appealed to him because he could use his skills (and precision) in a different way. My aunt...couldn't thread a needle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Rick just to let you know I became a carpenter because I felt it was the same thing as sewing just different tools and I love both. I've been a carpenter for 27 years now. And have been sewing for 40 years.

Congrats Rick! and welcome to the QB and beginner quilting. Let those guy's raise their eyebrows I'm sure you have seen some of the work other men on the QB have posted. Enjoy your new hobby/addiction that well come soon enough...LOL :roll: :roll: :roll:

Desertrose, AKA Andie

My son quilts and noticed that he was very precice in his mesuring too.

While the first (an so far only) quilting I took had only women students, but the teacher was a man. We learned how to do everything by hand - make templates, cut fabric with scissors using the templates, piece by hand, and had a quick quilting by hand lesson at the end. The teacher brought his quilts in each class session and they were beautiful!
    I'm sure you will enjoy quilting and the great people on this board.

I met two men today from this QB. One of them has been quilting for 30 years and the other has been quilting for 8 years. I don't know where it says one has to be male or female to sew, quilt, knit, crochet, any craft for that matter. Keep enjoying the quilting.

congratulations on being a quilter

Blog Entries
    Not a man, LOL, but a wood worker as well as quilter!I have to be doing one or the other, keeps my brain busy. Oh I tell you what, You like Quilting you should try tile work! its the best of both worlds.
    Welcome! From Tennessee!

Welcome from Texas. I grew up in Leavenworth. I left right after high school (LHS '65), but still love to visit when I get the chance. Will have to check out that LQS someday.

Everyone should be proud to develop talents, regardless of narrow expectations based on ... what?

There is a group of native people in the San Blas islands who are famous for their reverse applique molas (Google for images). Usually the men fish and the women sew, but they have an unusual number of albinos, and a boy like that would get dangerously burnt in the sun, so traditionally they stay home and learn to make molas.

You are wise to take a class. I re-invented the wheel, and in doing so, made every possible mistake. You'll get to the fun part much quicker and with less disappointment along the way. Enjoy!

Hey, that's great. Pretty soon you'll be a quilt addict like the rest of us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast