Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Attended First Beginners Class Yesterday >

Attended First Beginners Class Yesterday

Attended First Beginners Class Yesterday

Old 03-05-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by DirtyPaw
Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Good for you for going to the class even though your man friends turned up their eyebrows at you! :thumbup:

Quilting is a wonderful hobby that is very rewarding. We look forward to see the things you create! :D
I see quilting as very similar with wood working. You have to make exact measurements, miter corners and be creative. The only difference is the materials you use and quilting is better because you only really need one machine to do all the beautiful work quilters can do. With wood working the tools never end before you exhaust the space you need for storing them. I like quilting much more.
Good for you Rick. I'm glad you found a beginners class. My uncle loved to sew. He was an engineer and sewing appealed to him because he could use his skills (and precision) in a different way. My aunt...couldn't thread a needle. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 03-05-2011, 06:12 PM

Rick just to let you know I became a carpenter because I felt it was the same thing as sewing just different tools and I love both. I've been a carpenter for 27 years now. And have been sewing for 40 years.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:56 PM

Congrats Rick! and welcome to the QB and beginner quilting. Let those guy's raise their eyebrows I'm sure you have seen some of the work other men on the QB have posted. Enjoy your new hobby/addiction that well come soon enough...LOL :roll: :roll: :roll:

Desertrose, AKA Andie
Old 03-05-2011, 07:52 PM

My son quilts and noticed that he was very precice in his mesuring too.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:03 PM

While the first (an so far only) quilting I took had only women students, but the teacher was a man. We learned how to do everything by hand - make templates, cut fabric with scissors using the templates, piece by hand, and had a quick quilting by hand lesson at the end. The teacher brought his quilts in each class session and they were beautiful!
I'm sure you will enjoy quilting and the great people on this board.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:04 PM

I met two men today from this QB. One of them has been quilting for 30 years and the other has been quilting for 8 years. I don't know where it says one has to be male or female to sew, quilt, knit, crochet, any craft for that matter. Keep enjoying the quilting.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:07 PM

congratulations on being a quilter
Old 03-05-2011, 09:09 PM

Not a man, LOL, but a wood worker as well as quilter!I have to be doing one or the other, keeps my brain busy. Oh I tell you what, You like Quilting you should try tile work! its the best of both worlds.
Welcome! From Tennessee!
Old 03-05-2011, 09:40 PM

Welcome from Texas. I grew up in Leavenworth. I left right after high school (LHS '65), but still love to visit when I get the chance. Will have to check out that LQS someday.

Everyone should be proud to develop talents, regardless of narrow expectations based on ... what?

There is a group of native people in the San Blas islands who are famous for their reverse applique molas (Google for images). Usually the men fish and the women sew, but they have an unusual number of albinos, and a boy like that would get dangerously burnt in the sun, so traditionally they stay home and learn to make molas.

You are wise to take a class. I re-invented the wheel, and in doing so, made every possible mistake. You'll get to the fun part much quicker and with less disappointment along the way. Enjoy!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:35 AM

Hey, that's great. Pretty soon you'll be a quilt addict like the rest of us.