Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Attending first quilt show this weekend >

Attending first quilt show this weekend

Attending first quilt show this weekend

Old 09-20-2010, 09:50 AM

I will echo the comfortable shoes - it's that important because there is so much walking at a quilt show and they are often on cement floors.

The last couple of shows I went to had vendors that you could buy lunch from, but they were very expensive, so I now bring PB&J sandwiches and just get a little something for desert from those expensive food vendors.

I always take a canvas bag with me to put my purchases in. Then all my goods are in one bag.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:51 PM

Have a wonderful time and the two most mentioned hints, money and shoes, are most important. I usually bring a pair of flip flops or slippers in case my feet start to give out. Ask questions. Ask the "white glove lady" to show you the back of a quilt you like and find out as much as you can about different techniques that are used. Bring your own bottle of water to save a little cash and plenty of people bring a sandwich. My quilt buddy and I look forward to our quilt show treat - chili cheese dog, a little overpriced but part of the experience for us.

And here's one I still forget. If you see something you're thinking about buying but want to wait, take a card from the vendor and mark the back with the booth number and what it is you like. Thinking "I'll remember the xxx in booth 224" doesn't work as the day goes on.

ENJOY!!!!
Old 09-20-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz
And here's one I still forget. If you see something you're thinking about buying but want to wait, take a card from the vendor and mark the back with the booth number and what it is you like. Thinking "I'll remember the xxx in booth 224" doesn't work as the day goes on.
I agree with mrs. fitz. It's very difficult to remember which vendors you've visited when you're tired and your feet hurt. When I went to the NQS show in Columbus, OH in June, I took a few minutes and, using the program map, marked the locations of the vendor booths I knew I wanted to get to. I knew I wouldn't have the time or energy to get to all of them and by noting them ahead of time, I was able to visit the ones I didn't want to miss.

Have fun!
Old 09-20-2010, 03:54 PM

Thank everyone for all your advise. The comfy shoes is usually a given for me on the weekends. But all else will strictly be taken to heart. I will report back with how everything goes. My 20 year old daughter is going with me. She is not a quilting person. She is just going to have some "mom time" because she doesn't want me to go by myself. So, it should be interesting. She is quite a characcter especially when she gets bored.