Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Attention: All Gentlemen-Quilters >

Attention: All Gentlemen-Quilters

Attention: All Gentlemen-Quilters

Old 07-05-2010, 04:13 AM

I know that we have heard from some of our "MEN-MEMBERS",
and I found it quite interesting as to how they got started in quilting.

I think that most all reading this forum would like to hear more of their stories.

Who is going to be the first to tell their tale?

MaryJane

necktie tales of the gentlemen quilters
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82454[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-82449.jpe  
Old 07-05-2010, 06:10 AM

Great name for a book! Can't wait to hear their stories. :D
Old 07-05-2010, 03:16 PM

Here's what I posted on an earlier thread about what got me into quilting:

I started quilting about a year ago now and there was an event that actually sparked me to get into it. I'm involved in a local historic preservation group in my town, and I'm president of the board that oversees the preservation of the oldest home in town (built in 1852). We have several open houses each year at the historic park that has this house in it and we do a quilt exhibit each May. So during last year's exhibit I was walking around looking at all the quilts and thinking to myself "I bet I could do this." I remember looking at the quilts and thinking over them in terms of construction, i.e., looking at each block and thinking how they came together in a logical way. So after the exhibit I went to the local bookstore and bought a couple of quilting magazines, went to Wal-Mart and bought some fabric, went to the local sewing machine dealer and bought a machine. And made my first quilt.

Looking back now, I think I was drawn to quilting as simply another art form that allows me an avenue to create. I have an art background, having taken lessons in painting from a couple of different teachers. I've won honors in several competitions, so having the art background coming into quilting helps a lot I think in being able to choose colors of fabrics that will play well together.

I haven't painted in years (probably 10 or more now), because while I had all the awards and praise from people telling me that I was good, I still had to really work at it to make a painting that I was even remotely satisfied with. For every one painting I completed, I probably trashed 10 others. I think a lot of that was me being overly self-critical of my work, though. But with quilting, it's a pretty different story - maybe I've simply matured beyond caring so much about the perfectionism, I don't know. But I see it as enjoyable, rather than work.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:09 AM

My mother gave me a cross stitch, containing different quilt blocks and their meanings. So, I decided to make her a quilt for Xmas the next year.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:55 AM

There was another thread that touched on this very topic. You could probably search for it, but I'm not sure how.

I've been sewing as far back as I can remember. I always played around with my Mother's sewing machine. I used to make clothes, hats for myself when I was in High School. Always did sew ever since in one way or the other making curtains, pillows, gowns and such. I finally decided to try quilting about 8 or 9 years ago. Watched all the shows on TV, read a ton of books and dove right in. Made my first quilt out of old work pants, shirts, pillow shams, muslin, a sheet and used a mattress cover for batting. It was just supposed to be a practice piece to see if I really liked it. I still have that quilt on my bed. Will try to find a picture of it for you.

Also here is one of my QFK quilts I've made.

This is what I'm working on now. I had to take off the outer border and add more sashing to make it "look right" to me. I've done some quilting on it and now am going to try the "Big Stitch" technique for the vines and feathers in between the jars and in the border
[ATTACH=CONFIG]76605[/ATTACH]

This is one of my QFK quilts. Not sure you can see, but I quilted kitties in the border.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]76606[/ATTACH]

My first quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]76746[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-76600.jpe   attachment-76601.jpe   attachment-76741.jpe  
Old 07-15-2010, 11:51 AM

Loving the stories! Keep them coming....come on guys!
Old 07-15-2010, 03:03 PM

Thanks to the GUYS who responded...your stories are unique.

Would love it if my husband quilted but it 's not his bag !!!!

He has taken over what I started doing earlier this year.

They are large quilt blocks made from plywood and painted. He has completed two and they are about ready to be hung outdoors.

I am so anxious to have his work shown.....

thanks again for your stories.

MaryJane