Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Attention donation quilters , knitters , crocheters >

Attention donation quilters , knitters , crocheters

Attention donation quilters , knitters , crocheters

Old 01-23-2012, 07:46 AM

Note taken. I have been aware of this because I have twin Grand babies one boy and one girl and we saw this happen first hand. Ladies and gents, those little boys are just as darling as the little girls, so don't forget to include them or create the gender neutral items. Sure they are babies and they don't know but the mums and dads do. Let's just be aware of how others may perceive our efforts for their special little one.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
Excellent post. I never thought about it but I do tend to work in mostly feminine colors. I will have to get some more masculine colors to make a few blankets.
How about polka dots (no pink). Black and white prints with bright orange/green/yellow. Brown and white. Motorcycle/horses/wolfes/deer/outdoorsy panels. Antique car prints. Railroad trains.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

I do not know about thread for crochetting but as far as fabric goes I find it often hard to find fabric that is boyish or gender neutral. Often cute frog print or something like it will have pink or purple in it or flowers. So I could see how this would happen with donated quilts that are often made from left over or donated fabrics. Thank you for pointing this out to us though. Last year my twin grandsons were born prematurely and lived for a day. They did have cute little crochet hats but I think come to think of it one might have had a little pink it. No big deal for us but I could see it might be for some.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 01-23-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:27 AM

It is true that I tend to do little baby girl blankets but do have a few boy ones in the batch. I gues I need to concentrate on the boy blankets more. It seems the girl ones are more fun to make. :-)
Old 01-23-2012, 08:47 AM

Fabrics don't have to have a boyish theme to be considered masculine. Solids and plaids work very well.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:03 AM

I was knitting some hats for the premies and realized that I was making basically girly ones. So I purposely am now making boy ones, although there seems to be more girly type yarn in baby soft feel. So now that I am back into quilting, I will be sure to make boy quilts. I thought about taking a panel fabric that is on sale and making quilts using that. I have seen them made up where the panel is in the center and then another panel is used cut up and put around the main center. It turned out pretty or masculine. I guess we shouldn't say pretty for a man quilt. LOL.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:18 AM

Since I had boys I seem to go to the boys-when I made pillowcases I found I was short the pink stuff. I am not girly, so pink is not one of my main colours. Now I am glad.

I do do faeries but I also have dragons, wizards, cars, fire trucks, and football and baseball fabric. fabric.com had great boy fabric.
2 shelves of boy type fabric and 1 of girly stuff.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:44 AM

Never thought about this. But then most quilts I make for babies are in Primary colors. Stripes, Dots in primary too. That way it isn't just boy or girl but both
Old 01-23-2012, 09:44 AM

I knit a lot of baby afghans for friends. I use Red Heart worsted yarn and they come in masculine colors, so I have made blankets in dark green, brown, and various shades of blue. The yarn is hypoallergenic, and can be washed and dried in the dryer. I find the 4 ply holds its shape better and is warm without being heavy. I also use that yarn for baby caps and again, it works. It is also inexpensive and I can make a blanket in a week or two for under $10. I have just started quilting and am adding that to my list of projects for donations.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:48 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I crochet hats and afghans and do quilts for kids. I too will make a concentrated effort to make more boyish items. the puppy/animal shelters get the odds n ends all crocheted or quilted together so nothing is wasted. will be away from the board for awhile so in my absence I will be doing it up "blue.

Last edited by cherrio; 01-23-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: keyboard is messed up!!