Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Attention span - - -

Power Poster

Attention span - - -

After learning a new technique -

Do you feel that you have to "do something" with it?

or

Are you okay with - "Okay, I know how to do that" - and not "do something" with it?

I hate to admit I'm in the second group, but I am.

If I see a video on a new technique, it is usually the bit of knowledge that I need in order to finish a quilt.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I like to try them. If I like it I will usually "do something" with it. If I don't like it, I am satisfied just knowing that I can do it.

I don't necessarily have to 'do something' with a new technique or method but I do have to repeat it several times for it to 'stick' (pp'ing comes to mind). But I'm usually working on a new quilt when that situation applies so I suppose I do end up 'doing something' with it after all.

Oh, I have to do it multiple times these day for it to 'stick'. Then, when I get ready to use it again, if much time has passed, I have to look it up again..... Sad, really. ....
    aka Gale

I like to try it on a practice block to make sure I have it right before I do it on a quilt.

I don't spend time learning new quilting techniques unless I intend to put them to practical use...usually right then and there. I don't think I'd ever claim that I knew how to do something if I hadn't used it in a finished project of some sort.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    I like learning new things, but I don't feel that I have to use them, maybe I will eventually. I went to a class on trapunto, I have no plans to use what I learnt but I enjoyed the class, and now I feel that I now have another skill if I ever feel that I might need it.
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

To me the fun is in the learning how not doing because I know how.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    After learning a new technique -

Do you feel that you have to "do something" with it?

or

Are you okay with - "Okay, I know how to do that" - and not "do something" with it?

I hate to admit I'm in the second group, but I am.
    I think this is where I went wrong a long time ago. Every new class I took, I went wild with starting a new project using that skill. And those new skills usually require certain supplies and tools. And then the UFOs stack up. Well, some of you know the drill.....
    One step at a time, always forward.

So I have 30 quilt tops - pieced but not layered and quilted - because I wanted to try the technique. Mastered it and moved on.

I'm in both camps. I'll research and learn for a project I am working on but I will also research and learn about something which I think looks interesting even if I don't think I will do it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by LoriEl View Post
    I like to try them. If I like it I will usually "do something" with it. If I don't like it, I am satisfied just knowing that I can do it.
    My opinion too.

I like to try it on a block. That produces orphan blocks. Sometimes I put all these orphan blocks into a quilt with coordinating sashing. Most of them look great.
    If I don't try it on a block, I keep notes or a print-out of it. My stack of such things is getting deep, but even deep stacks don't take up too much room.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

It really just depends. Some new things I think are exciting and I can't stop thinking of the possibilities so I have to go experiment RIGHT AWAY. Other new things I just sort of tuck into a corner of my mind for some other time when it seems appropriate.

I do a lot of scrappy and crazy quilts though, so an experimental block or two doesn't turn into a UFO, they just get mixed in with one of my always-ongoing scrap/crazy quilts.

I like learning new things just to deepen the well of ideas to draw from when I am planning a project. I would hate to think I have to make something to represent every single thing I know how to do.

When it's time to use something, I can always refresh my memory by reviewing a tutorial or referring to my drawings and notes.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Quote Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
    Oh, I have to do it multiple times these day for it to 'stick'. Then, when I get ready to use it again, if much time has passed, I have to look it up again..... Sad, really. ....
    That's me! Maybe shouldn't admit it, but sometimes I will see something I made 10-15 years ago and remember absolutely nothing about making it. But I am proud of the workmanship!