Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Attic Window advice? >

Attic Window advice?

Attic Window advice?

Old 02-28-2017, 06:20 AM

Default Attic Window advice?

I have never made an attic window quilt. I have a "Nightmare Before Christmas- Jack Skellington Panel" that I think would be cute in this pattern. Can someone suggest how to correctly choose colors for the window pieces so that it looks "real"? Any other thoughts. If you google this name, you will see the panel. It has the purple background and he is hovering over black/gray tombstones.Thank you so much.. Also, I know there is a Missouri Quilt tutorial online... Does anyone know of other easy patterns for this? I thought it might be a good thing to bring on my upcoming retreat.
Thank you
MaryAnn
Old 02-28-2017, 07:33 AM

I personally think msqc tute is the best around......
Old 02-28-2017, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

You need to first decide if you are going to do traditional attic windows with the Y seam or the easier method done with a HST in the corner.

To get the illusion of depth is usually done using two values in the same color family, like a black and a medium gray for example. Or a medium gray and a light gray. I have seen some done with stark changes in the two units (like two entirely different colors or black and white) and definitely prefer the same color family in light and dark values. It really doesn't matter which value you use for the "frame" and the "sill" just keep it the same throughout. Although I usually use the lighter value for the sill and the darker for the frame.

If going with the HST assembly, solids show a seam line more than a print. If going with the Y seam it doesn't matter.

Also you need to decide if you want to make the windows with or without sashing. That is preference. I find that the ones with sashing are more appealing to me when the sashing is very narrow. I prefer no sashing if it is a quilt with many "windows" but ones where you are taking a single large panel look nicer with a narrow sashing between a few windows.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 02-28-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:19 PM

Thank you! I do like the MSQC tutorial. I have to look at my panel and figure out if when the windows are cut they look accurate. There were some comments below the video explaining that the deer's ears should have been blocked by the sashing.....
Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
You need to first decide if you are going to do traditional attic windows with the Y seam or the easier method done with a HST in the corner.

To get the illusion of depth is usually done using two values in the same color family, like a black and a medium gray for example. Or a medium gray and a light gray. I have seen some done with stark changes in the two units (like two entirely different colors or black and white) and definitely prefer the same color family in light and dark values. It really doesn't matter which value you use for the "frame" and the "sill" just keep it the same throughout. Although I usually use the lighter value for the sill and the darker for the frame.

If going with the HST assembly, solids show a seam line more than a print. If going with the Y seam it doesn't matter.

Also you need to decide if you want to make the windows with or without sashing. That is preference. I find that the ones with sashing are more appealing to me when the sashing is very narrow. I prefer no sashing if it is a quilt with many "windows" but ones where you are taking a single large panel look nicer with a narrow sashing between a few windows.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:25 PM

My tutorial.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...l-t227245.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...w-t279941.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t207659.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t226675.html
sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 02-28-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:22 PM

Sandygirl,

Your tutorial is wonderful! Thank you!!!
Old 03-01-2017, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by sushi View Post
Sandygirl,

Your tutorial is wonderful! Thank you!!!
thank you. I am glad that it was helpful! It is one of my fav things to do with panels.
sandy
Old 03-01-2017, 06:49 AM

Sandygirl,
Thanks for all your "picture" tuts I have a few panels and now I know what to do with them. Again thanks
Old 03-01-2017, 06:55 AM

the one thing I really do not like about using a panel for Attic window - is when they are cut and no allowance is made of what is hidden behind the window sashing - so you'll see part of the body, 2" of window trim, and the rest of the body, since the seams only take up an extra 1/2", the look is stretches because there is an extra 1.5" added in the middle.

Some panels don't look so bad, but some end up with animals/people with parts that are way out of proportion.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:51 AM

Yes. I am trying to figure that out now. I am trying to keep his head in one window and make up for it by cutting a couple of inches off one of the sides of the panel and starting further in.. if that makes sense...It is tricky.....

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
the one thing I really do not like about using a panel for Attic window - is when they are cut and no allowance is made of what is hidden behind the window sashing - so you'll see part of the body, 2" of window trim, and the rest of the body, since the seams only take up an extra 1/2", the look is stretches because there is an extra 1.5" added in the middle.

Some panels don't look so bad, but some end up with animals/people with parts that are way out of proportion.