Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Attn Hand Quilters >

Attn Hand Quilters

Attn Hand Quilters

Old 09-19-2015, 04:58 AM

Default Attn Hand Quilters

Something has happened with my hand quilting. Every so often my stitches turn. I try to keep a straight line but these turned stitches keep cropping up. I quilt toward myself with a thimble that has little holes in it. I am making something for an auction and I don't want a lot of turned stitches. I went to a local quilt show yesterday and looked at the stitches of a few hand quilted quilts and I did not see turned stitches. I have tried using a smaller needle and that may help some but not enough. I can't get a really small needle threaded - like a 12. Any suggestions?
Old 09-19-2015, 06:20 AM

What do you mean by "turned" stitches?

If it is what I think, you may not be making the first stitch right on the quilting line. Or maybe your needle is bent?

It is also possible that tomorrow or the next day, you won't be able to see the turned stitches. We work very close to our quilts, and a little distance makes all sorts of mistakes disappear.

By the way, a size 11 needle should be as short as a 12, but as thick as a 10. I find them easier to thread. If you really think your needle is to blame, try them.

Good luck!

Janet
Old 09-19-2015, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Could you show a picture? I have not heard the term "turned stitches" before.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

I have never heard of a turned stitch. Do you build your stitches on the needle or stitch one at a time? Is it like doing a lot of stitching and the thread twists to where you have to let it dangle and reverse spin because of knotting?
Old 09-19-2015, 08:07 AM

Perhaps your turned stitches happen because when you insert your needle after pulling the thread through, it isn't perfectly in line with the last stitches. That has happened to me. I have corrected it by being super vigilant about getting the needle inserted right for that first stitch each time. It slowed me down for a little while, but now I don't even think about it. I also found that the Hiroshime tulip betweens needles help my stitches. I can use a size 12 and have no trouble threading. These needles are more expensive, but are hand made, super sharp, glide through the fabric, are hard and seldom bend. the eye is made to be threaded from either side. It usually threads for me the first try. Someone on this board recommended them. I could only find them on Amazon and I ordered there, so worth it.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:09 AM

I feel much better now. When I read the initial post I, too, had no clue what a 'turned stitch' was and therefore, posted nothing since I could offer no advice. I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one who is clueless about this term.

To Sinceresissy - perhaps if you posted a photo of the problem we might better be able to help.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

I like to put long flower head quilt pins about an inch out on each side from the line I am quilting. I find it helps stabilize the sandwich so the layers don't shift as I am quilting. If the bottom fabric shifts a bit while you are quilting it can pull the stitch off a bit.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:14 AM

I didn't get back to this thread in a timely way so it has gotten old but I thank you all for your suggestions. I don't have a picture of a turned stitch. It just goes a little out to the side. I think I will check my needles. I may be using a bent one and I am going to order some good needles like Gender suggested. I use Piecemakers and they are assorted from size 8 to 12. I may have picked out a large needle. I will have to watch and see more closely what I am doing. I load about four stitches on my needles at once. I don't think it is the first stitch that turns. I put the needle right next to the last stitch taken so it will stay lined up . The line is straight but the third stitch flares out at the end. I bet it is a bent needle. Thank you all.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:12 AM

The name of the quilting betweens Genden mentioned is actually spelled Hiroshima, not Hiroshime, if you google them. I use the Tulip Co. applique needles and can recommend those over any other applique needles I have tried. If I do any hand quilting in the future, I will be sure to get these.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

I'm sure it was a typo. Hitting the "e" instead of the "a". I Googled with an "e" and got an "a".
Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
The name of the quilting betweens Genden mentioned is actually spelled Hiroshima, not Hiroshime, if you google them. I use the Tulip Co. applique needles and can recommend those over any other applique needles I have tried. If I do any hand quilting in the future, I will be sure to get these.