Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: aurfil thread?

aurfil thread?

Realize thread I'm using is too linty. Heard Aurfil thread is great to use on a domestic machine. So does it come in different weights and if so what weight is best. What blend. Need advice from you guys who are the pros!

I mostly use aurifil. It's 50wt cotton which is I think what most use for piecing and quilting. It does come in other weights, but I haven't tried them.

Aurifil is 50 wt 2 ply which is the most popular for piecing. Most other brands are 50 wt 3 ply. Masterpiece use to be 50 2 ply but was changed to 3 ply for strength. There are so many good brands of thread on the market now to choose.
    I use 60 wt in the bobbin. I have been using 100 wt soft poly thread for machine applique and love it and for the WOW effect I use Sew Sassy 12 wt thread for machine applique. Using the 12 wt, the stitches look like hand embroidery.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Aurifil turned me into a thread snob! I use 50w to piece with, and most of machine quilting (domestic sewing machine). I also love their 40w for quilting.
    greys seem to blend in with almost everything
    I bought cones of white and off white on Craftsy last Dec for $25 each...I am waiting for that sale to restock!

I use Aurifil and also Craftsy's brand. Can't think of the name of it. Love them both

Yup, I'm an Aurifil thread snob too. I use 50 for piecing with non-batik fabric, 40 for quilting. The only time I use something different is when piecing batiks I use 60 and if I want a variegated thread for quilting I use King Tut.

After using the cheap and easily available Coates and Clark thread for regular sewing, when I got in to quilting, I found that it was too linty as well. I switched to Aurfil. I also now just buy whites, greys, and beiges, and don't mess with the other colors. I may buy a special color for quilting.

I've used Aurifil for years and like it. But since I've started FMQing the high constant speed I can see how much lint I get with it. Now for the actual quilting I use a poly with no lint.

I want very strong thread when I do machine quilting. I use Glide. It never breaks on me unless it's user error. I use the Glide prewound bobbins too. Thread issues are hassles I do not want to deal with when machine quilting.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I use Aurifil 12wt for hand quilting. I have used the 50wt for piecing, but prefer Presencia's 60wt 3-ply as the seams lay flatter.

I use aurifil thread-50 wt. for everything. Love it.

Since hearing about Aurifil here, I've been using it exclusively for piecing. I have used it for FMQ, but lately I've been using Invisafil for my FMQ. I like that way it almost disappears into the quilt leaving just the texture of the quilting.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

On a splurge, I tried Aurifil on a quilt I was making for my sister's 50th b'day. Fell in love with it. So much cleaner than cheaper brands. Do I use it all the time? No. I use something less expensive. It's like a special treat to look forward to on certain quilts.

I use Aurifil 50 wt for all my quilting. It seems to last much longer on the bobbin - perhaps because it is so fine?

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to be the outlier here. I've not been impressed with the way Aurafil comes off the "mini" cones on my machine--too much breakage. I instead use SoFine #50 when I have a cone that doesn't have enough to bother to wind a bobbin with, same with Bottomline if I really want fine stitches. I like Presencia although pricey. So mostly I use Mettler for piecing.

I switched to Aurifil 50 wt for my hand applique. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    I use Aurifil and also Craftsy's brand. Can't think of the name of it. Love them both
    How does the Craftsy thread compare to Aurifil?

I hope you get an answer! I have only heard that the Craftsy brand is quite linty.

Quote Originally Posted by auntlucy View Post
    How does the Craftsy thread compare to Aurifil?
    BJ

I love Aurofil and mostly use 50 wt although I’ve used 100 at for hand embroidery. It’s worth the few extra pennies. I think you’ll love it!