Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Aurgh...I will never not prewash again...

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
    All of you that wash in the hottest water you can- have you ever read the care instructions on the ends of the bolts? they say wash in cold water. maybe that is why you all get so much shrinkage. If you want the best results, follow the care instructions.

Found these instructions on fabrics:
    http://www.denverfabrics.com/pages/s...are-quilts.htm
    I am aware of those instructions.

HOWEVER - I make quilts that I know are going to be 'used hard' - and I am also reasonably sure that the new owner will probably be doing well to just get the things washed now and then - forget about any TLC! As long as they don't use bleach, the quilt should turn out fine.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
    All of you that wash in the hottest water you can- have you ever read the care instructions on the ends of the bolts? they say wash in cold water. maybe that is why you all get so much shrinkage. If you want the best results, follow the care instructions.

Found these instructions on fabrics:
    http://www.denverfabrics.com/pages/s...are-quilts.htm
    rather ironic, don't you think? When so many people are using Retayne and/or Synthropol to treat their fabrics - and both of them need HOT water to work their magic

I am sorry so many of you have had such issues.

Maybe one of the reasons I DON'T have a lot of problems is I don't wash anything but greasy work clothes and my sons' running clothes in hot water. That is way too expensive.

I prewash batiks and flannels, both in cold water. I press everything else before I use it including my batting. All of this "preshrinks" most things. Works for me and that is what I am sticking with.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I have picked up jelly rolls that have shrunk on me, I too thought it was just stiff and needed a pre wash. So it can be any kind of fabric that can shrink on a person. If you don't like the fabric now, put it asided for something else and get a new fabric. I use items like that for stuffing toys when it becomes that bad from shrinkage.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I have that the no pre-wash advice often comes from designers and shop owners who have no intention to wash a quilt. They are making them for wall quilts or show quilts and not for using them. They say that you don't have to wash the fabrics but I always prewash. I want my quilts to be loved and used not hung on the wall or displayed only. Even the good batiks have some color loss when washed....not every one but it only takes one in a quilt to fade t ruin a quilt. Choose your threads wisely as well. I have a quilt that was quillting maybe ten years ago by a professional and the thread (multi-colored) used ran in areas. I have no idea what brand was used. I hope the thread are much improved now.

My feet are firmly planted in on the prewash side...that said however. I've had red bleed a second go round after prewashing. I now set all my reds with salt water when I wash it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I've had Michael Miller black - which I purchased from a LQS - shrink over 2.5 inches in width.

I'm with your husband - soak those pieces in hot water - actually measure them before and after - just for kicks - roll them out in a towel to get rid of some of that water - and then dry them on a towel bar or drying rack.

I really can't tell - just by looking at a fabric - how it's going to behave. I've measured hundreds of fabrics before and after soaking them in hot water and washing them to see if there was any shrinkage. Some shrink not at all - including 'fabrics purchased at WalMart' - and I've had some noticeable shrinkage from fabrics purchased from all sources.
    Both the washing AND drier shrink the fabrics, so you need to do both to get the full effect. Some fabrics, esp flannels, continue to shrink for 2 or 3 wash/dry cycles.

I, for one, cannot believe that so many of you on this board, do not pre-wash. The first thing I was taught was to pre-wash any fabric that I bought when I brought it into the house. We have no guarantee's on ANY fabric we buy and the safest way is to pre-wash. That way I never have any surprise's like yours. I am so sorry for you. What a nasty way to learn that lesson. Good luck to you.
    Judy
    Friendship is the fabric of our lives!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonfs View Post
    I have that the no pre-wash advice often comes from designers and shop owners who have no intention to wash a quilt. They are making them for wall quilts or show quilts and not for using them. They say that you don't have to wash the fabrics but I always prewash. I want my quilts to be loved and used not hung on the wall or displayed only. Even the good batiks have some color loss when washed....not every one but it only takes one in a quilt to fade t ruin a quilt. Choose your threads wisely as well. I have a quilt that was quillting maybe ten years ago by a professional and the thread (multi-colored) used ran in areas. I have no idea what brand was used. I hope the thread are much improved now.
    It may have been rayon thread - it's not color-fast.

I too have learned the hard way to always prewash my fabrics before using!
    Bootsie

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    I make my decision whether to prewash by what the finished piece will be used for. If it's for a baby quilt, then everything gets prewashed in hot water and dried in the dryer. I want to remove all chemicals first and foremost, and then I want to make sure that the quilt can be washed over and over without shrinking or colors bleeding. If the end use will be a wall hanging, then I'm okay with not prewashing because the likelihood that the hanging will get stained is pretty low. Placemats and table runners definitely get washed and dried, because they're going to be used.
    This is my "prewash" philosophy as well. Fabrics for baby quilts and lap quilts, where they will get a lot of use and will be washed often, are definitely prewashed. Same with table runners. Wall hangings not so much.
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

I prewash all my fabrics with a color catcher. I do wash in cool water and put my dryer on reg cycle.

I prewash and dry everything! Even jelly rolls as in my front loaders the handwash cycle is so gentle they hardly fray.

I think fabric grain gets distorted as it is rolled out in the factory...must come out slightly damp or the first rolling really stretches the fabric. The distortion can be extreme, which is why we used to cut fabric by pulling a single thread and cutting along that line, which gives you the true grain of fabric.

Blog Entries
    I wash everything, even kits.
    I won't let in into my quilt-room until it's been washed.
    Better safe then sorry.
    Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieBB View Post
    Every peice of fabric that comes into my home is prewashed before it is used, not to check for shrinkage (although this matters with quilt fabric) but to make sure it is CLEAN, who knows where it has been (china, india, mexico) and whose hands it has been through. I have been sewing for over 50 years and still wash every thing! Maggiebb
    I pre-wash for TWO reasons: first, I agree with Maggiebb. Who knows what critters could be in the fabric after it gets from the original mill to my house and second: I learned the hard way after I washed a completed slipcover and could never get it zipped back up after that fateful day!
    Loretta Sewhappytoquilt

If its a wallhanging I don't prewash...if its for use...definitely!!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I got some fabric from my MIL's stash before she had a yard sale - a very pretty blue with a tiny pattern. I washed the fabric since it was pretty old and used it in a quilt. When I put the binding on, I noticed that my fingers were turning blue - from that bleedin' blue fabric. I ended up washing this quilt 9 times before it was done. Let's just say that the feel and look of the pieces had changed dramatically. It is now a picknick quilt and I am much more careful with the scraps I accept.

Blog Entries
    I always prewash, starch and iron. When I wash the completed quilt, I wash in cold water and with a color catcher.
    I have advised my family to do the same. Whether they do or not, is up to them. So far, so good.

Charyl, I was taught years ago just to dampen in the sink in the water temp I would be washing the quilt in, spin dry, and then starch and iron or to put the pieces into a lingerie bag and dry. I don't usually put them in the dryer; I have an Amish clothes rack that I dry strips and smaller pieces on. That way they don't shred in the process.

Blog Entries
    Instead of prewashing I spray the fabric with Magic Sizing and iron it BEFORE cutting. It shrinks the fabric some and also makes it easy to handle while cutting and sewing. Magic Sizing gives light body, not a heavy starch.

i did something similar one time and i decided to wash them afterwards and i had so many frays it was just simply a disaster. fingers crossed for you!
    A rolling stone gathers no moss

You would be doing us all a favor if you told us where you bought it, so we don't make the same mistake.

[QUOTE=carolaug;5247390]I bought some fabric...which for one was cheaper quaility...I will behave and not say where...it feels stiff and I figured I would try not prewashing and just cut...than starch and iron. My 10 inch squares were ......"

I prewashed fabric from a kit and ended up with a tangled, frayed mess also. I understand why everyone says to prewash, but I sure don't want the frayed mess again!! Any comments on how to avoid the tangled messes?

Blog Entries
    I never pre wash my fabric. I like how the quilt looks before it is washed as much as after it is washed. I post wash baby quilts, but others are given out unwashed with instructions. That is unless I do not use red in it. So far I have not had problems. No complaints.
    Peggy
    Keep on Quilting!
    http://www.beehivequilts.com
    http://www.beehivequilt.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2