Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Aurifil Thread >

Aurifil Thread

Aurifil Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 08:13 AM

Default Aurifil Thread

I have heard wonderful things about this thread and purchased 2 spools. When I tugged on it, it broke. I thought maybe I had a defective spool but the other one did the same thing. I usually use Connecting Threads Essential cotton and it never does this. I have always tossed any thread that broke as it is usually really old stuff.

I am hesitant to use this for piecing. I am mainly a charity quilter and assume these quilts get washed frequently. At this point I think I will use it in the bobbin only.

Does yours snap when you tug on it?
Old 06-07-2017, 08:20 AM

It sounds like you got some defective thread, you should take it back to where you bought it. My Aurifil thread has always been great. One time my sister bought a package of pre-wound bobbins, she thought they were the wrong size for her machine because if kept breaking, she gave it to me and I tested all 10 spools and the thread broke like it was 100 years old, it just broke - I couldn't even use it for basting. Sometimes they get a defective batch.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:25 AM

I've used quite a bit of Aurafil in 3 different machines with no trouble at all.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:48 AM

I use Aurifil thread exclusively for quilts I make for family and friends, and I have NEVER had any problem with it (I buy 50 wt.). I just love the thread, so I think you surely must have purchased a defective spool. Connecting Threads Essential is nice, and I use this thread for my charity quilts, as the cost is more manageable than that of Aurifil thread. I strongly suggest you return the Aurifil thread and ask that it be replaced. It is such a lovely thread, I just know you will love it!
Old 06-07-2017, 10:44 AM

Just wanted to say that I bought the 50wt as well - several cones, because I had heard such great things about it. When I tug on it, it does break sometimes. I don't machine quilt with it anymore because when I bury the knots, sometimes the thread snaps and then I'm stuck (and mad). I only piece with it and so far, haven't had a problem with seams coming loose. There is no way the thread is old.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

Did you check that you didn't buy the 80 or 60 wt? That is very thin and breaks with a good tug.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Did you check that you didn't buy the 80 or 60 wt? That is very thin and breaks with a good tug.
..... or perhaps the tug/pull was just a little too rough and tough?

Aurifil 50 wid my go-to for stitching and I have used it for FMQing, with no problems.
Everything has its limits ... any thread can be broken, if we tug on it too hard.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:56 PM

this thread (no pun...) made me go up and check my cotton threads, both 50/3 like coats and 50/2 like ariful, including guterman and whatever it is that JoAnn's sells online and mettler.

they all break with a bit of a tug. You have cotton thread, perfectly good, use it in good health.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:43 PM

I have problems with Aurafil breaking, too. I choose not to use it, and prefer Metler Silk Finish.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

Aurifil is a 50 wt cotton 2-ply thread. Being 2-ply, it breaks a little easier than the more common 50 wt 3-ply cotton threads. I doubt that there's anything wrong with your Aurifil thread; it's just a little different than what you are used to. If you want a lint-free, fine thread like Aurifil that is 3-ply, try Presencia which is a 60 wt cotton 3-ply thread.

I like Aurifil for piecing because it gives me great accuracy -- better than any other cotton thread I have tried, although Prescencia is probably at least as good. I don't like polyester thread for piecing because it is slippery compared to cotton, meaning if you cut thread ends short, they can actually slip out at the end of the fabric.

I think Aurifil 50wt is plenty strong for piecing, especially since I quilt pretty closely (nothing more than 4" apart, and usually much closer than that). Close quilting relieves stress on the pieced seams, so there is little chance that any of my piecing seams will snap. I prefer polyester thread for quilting because it is stronger and also gives a little "sparkle" to my quilts.