Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Aurifil and Wonderfil Comparison >

Aurifil and Wonderfil Comparison

Aurifil and Wonderfil Comparison

Old 03-27-2024, 07:16 AM

Default Aurifil and Wonderfil Comparison

I always use Aurifil Mako 50 for piecing but I have seen a lot of ads for Wonderfil and wonder what your experiences have been with the two threads.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

My own experience is that I like aurifil much better for piecing. It is thinner and less linty than wonderfil at least in my experience. My quilt store that has closed sold wonderfil so I used it for a long while.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

I like Wonderfil. I was given a sample pack of it and it's great thread. I use the 80 wt for hexies. I have and use lot of Aurifil but no so much pleased with the last few spools I bought. Just seems different to me from the older version. I try to not overthink thread. I go by how my machine sounds when it sews. Different brands sound different. Silly but true for my machine. Right now I am using Missouri Star cotton thread and poly and it is sewing perfectly with no issues.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:39 AM

It is hard to compare not knowing the type and weight of the threads. I do like cotton aurifil 50 for piecing a lot. I have gotten a couple of spools of Wonderfil and I haven't liked that as much. However, I didn't like the spool of Wonderfil cotton 50 weight Konfetti as much as the aurifil. I think it is because of the shape of the large spool. And I really did not like the All purpose polyester Designer I got as it seemed really soft and floppy. (got that because it was the right color for binding I was using). I would suggest just a spool of each and trying them. I would however use them again as long as I have them.