Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Autumn decorations >

Autumn decorations

Autumn decorations

Old 09-25-2011, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by cinnya
LOLOL about the cakes.
This is an old german recipe . it is a lot denser and not as sweet as american cakes. I have made this with plums or apples and everybody loves it.
1/2 cup sweet butter
3/4 cup sugar
2lg eggs
1tsp lemon juice
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
about 7 plums

Beat butter,sugar,eggs and lemon juice until creamy
blend flour,baking powder and salt in seperate bowl. Add to the butter mix, alternate with the milk.
cut plums in half remove pit but not the skin. cut plum in a fan shape-about 4 cuts-sprinkle with a bit of sugar and almond slices.
spread in greased spring form. bake at 350 50 to 60 min. do the toothpick test, because all ovens are different.mine takes about 60 min.
You can make apple, nectarine or fresh peach cake out of this recipe. they are all good.Sometime i use chopped walnuts and sometimes i add a little vanilla
flavoring..........Enjoy :))
Christina
Oh....thank you, thank you for this recipe! I've been looking for an authentic Plum Cake recipe for years. My father was stationed in Germany in the 50's and our German maid use to make this for me all the time.....I just loved it!
Your Fall decorations are beautiful and I love your quilt.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:21 AM
gus

great job
Old 09-25-2011, 06:21 AM

Beautiful. Looks like the cat approves too!!
Old 09-25-2011, 06:42 AM

Love your decorations and the tree...
Old 09-25-2011, 07:31 AM

Ok one more thing about the cake, than I shut up :)
You can also spread the batter on a cookie sheet with the small sides. You will taste a lot more of the plums that way.
When I use the cookie sheet i add streusel on top and I always add the almonds {you can add pecans or walnut, whatever you prefer]
I kinda wing my streusels, mix some flour and sugar and add a few tbs of hard butter and crumble it up until most of the butter is incorporated . and just sprinkle that on cake before you add the almonds.
The streusels will not have to cover the whole cake...you want to be able to see the plums.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:14 AM

Ok one more thing about the cake, than I shut up :)
You can also spread the batter on a cookie sheet with the small sides. You will taste a lot more of the plums that way.
When I use the cookie sheet i add streusel on top and I always add the almonds {you can add pecans or walnut, whatever you prefer]
I kinda wing my streusels, mix some flour and sugar and add a few tbs of hard butter and crumble it up until most of the butter is incorporated . and just sprinkle that on cake before you add the almonds.
The streusels will not have to cover the whole cake...you want to be able to see the plums.
Thank you, once again!
Old 09-25-2011, 02:26 PM

Wonderful decorating, and looks like a wonderful cake recipe. I am going to try both. Fall is my favorite time of year.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:44 PM

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! Your decorations are beautiful but for me the recipe is the best part of this post. I was in Germany some 50 years ago when hubby was in the army and got this cake at the bakery around the corner from where we lived, but the best cake came from a neighbor who had no oven but would take her cake in pan to local bakery to be baked. And then would share with us. If you have never had this it is well worth the time to make. again Thanks Pat
Old 09-26-2011, 06:01 AM

Very pretty!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:10 PM

LOLOL about the cakes.
This is an old german recipe . it is a lot denser and not as sweet as american cakes. I have made this with plums or apples and everybody loves it.
1/2 cup sweet butter
3/4 cup sugar
2lg eggs
1tsp lemon juice
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
about 7 plums
Beat butter,sugar,eggs and lemon juice until creamy
blend flour,baking powder and salt in seperate bowl. Add to the butter mix, alternate with the milk.
cut plums in half remove pit but not the skin. cut plum in a fan shape-about 4 cuts-sprinkle with a bit of sugar and almond slices.
spread in greased spring form. bake at 350 50 to 60 min. do the toothpick test, because all ovens are different.mine takes about 60 min.
You can make apple, nectarine or fresh peach cake out of this recipe. they are all good.Sometime i use chopped walnuts and sometimes i add a little vanilla flavoring..........Enjoy :))
Christina
Oh thank you so much for the recipe, guess I have to go out & buy some spring pans, done without for almost 60 years, but these look so good & I don't like really sweet desserts anymore!

Debs & Hemi :thumbup: