Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
in awe of all of you free motion quilters...... >

in awe of all of you free motion quilters......

in awe of all of you free motion quilters......

Old 05-03-2012, 04:22 AM

You might want to check out Leah Day's website. She did a new design a day for one year. She now has an ongoing weekly email that goes out for free motion quilting. She gives all kinds of tips and hints.
The best advise I can give is don't give up. Keep trying. It will come after a while. Don't try to perfect all the different designs right away. First concentrate on one design and keep at that ONE until you feel comfortable with it. Then move on to another one. After you get a couple that you feel good with, then move one to some more. I try to have a practice sandwich next to my machine. When I first go to quilt something, I do some warming up, then move on to my piece.
Keep practicing and yes, doodle on paper too. It does help.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:29 AM

I've never done free motion quilting so I can't give you any advice. But, I can lend you SUPPORT. Just keep trying. And, don't be afraid. Relax!! Take yo9ur time. It will all come together and you will think, "Why was I fretting so?'
Old 05-03-2012, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

Definately get yourself quilting gloves. I noticed a big improvement after I bought my Machingers. Use a batt that is mostly cotton will help also. The cotton fabric and cotton batt seem to hold better to each other. I love Hobbs 80/20 fusible batt for quilting but many on QB love the 505 basting spray to make the quilt sandwich. You can also pin bast or use thread but I can't get a good pace going when I have things to avoid stitching over. As others have said, practice, practice, practice.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:02 AM

I have made my mother in law 2 1 yard little quilts that I just practiced my quilting on and she loves them! Even if all the quilting isn't perfect or even. It took a while to quilt it and I used loops and circles, flowers, just all kinds of designs. I really feel that it helped alot, by the end of the two little quilts I had a good feel for FMQ. Definitely use gloves. I use grabaroos, they have a nice fit and have a little bit of a compression feel.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:30 AM

They say practice, practice, and more practice. I've tried on small pieces, but I usually break out in a cold sweat, and get sick to my stomach. I'm thinking, I'm not supposed to learn how to do this. Must be my type A personality. So I too, am always in awe of the people who can do this with so little effort. Kudos to all you beautiful quilters.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:22 PM

I am breaking out in a sweat just reading this!
Old 05-03-2012, 01:46 PM

I find I have best results with the machine running fast and my hands moving slower

I practiced for almsot a year before I would even try a real quilt.... even then.... it was still practice.. I practice each time even now before I start a quilt
Old 05-03-2012, 01:56 PM

After taking a small/short class at a quilt show I found that drawing on paper will help your brain retain the movements. Haven't done any quilting in quite a while, but have begun my drawing so I can finish a quilt for my BIL.

Good luck!

delma
Old 05-03-2012, 02:14 PM

I am one of those people that break out in a cold sweat too. I have been practicing on some small sandwiches but not sure if I will ever be brave enough to try on a real quilt. When I watch video's on this, it's looks so easy. Woo is me.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

first clean your machine and re-thread top and replace the bobbin. that might do it. also bring up the bobbin thread before you begin and hold onto it and the top thread , then take a few stitches. then clip the threads and go on. faster foot pedal speed, slower movement of quilt. good luck.