Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
baby flannel rag quilts >

baby flannel rag quilts

baby flannel rag quilts

Old 12-05-2014, 03:29 AM

Default baby flannel rag quilts

Hello everyone...............I just found a pattern for baby rag quilts. As you can tell I'm new to this quilting. I found them so cute. I didn't know what I could make out of flannel and thought that these fit the bill. I was going to do them for charity. My question is........are they still in demand? New mothers like to have new designs and ideas. I was thinking that this may be a thing of the past.......opinions please.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:14 AM

I think rag quilts are darling, but I worry about fuzz and lint with small babies. I made a denim rag quilt many years ago (probably 15 years ago) and it's washed often. It still leaves a lot of lint in the dryer lint basket. I stop the cycle about halfway and clean out the basket because of the amount of lint.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:37 AM

Because you have two side on this kind of quilt (one fuzzy and one that is not) you can use it on the flat side when the baby is in the "I put everything in my mouth" stage. Not a big concern in my opinion (and I have 3 small kids). I think rag quilt will always be nice for kids because of the fun texture. I brought one at my last craft fair and almost everybody passing by were touching it! My recommandation would be to choose color or design more modern: a strip rag quilt instead of a block rag quilt, bold colors instead of pastel tones.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:48 PM

Glad you asked the question as I had also been wondering about the lint/fuzz. Maybe better to wait until the baby gets older. But I do think a flannel backing would work. Our guild makes little simple pieced tops with flannel backs and they seem to be well received.