Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baby Lock Jazz II help needed >

Baby Lock Jazz II help needed

Baby Lock Jazz II help needed

Old 08-05-2020, 06:15 AM

Default Baby Lock Jazz II help needed

Hi! I bought a Jazz II back in March and for the most part I am happy with it. I have had issues with tension but I'm working on that. Today after re-filling my bobbin and starting quilting again, the tension was crazy loose when it wasn't just two minutes previous. As I was re-threading the machine, I was reminded once again, that I'm not 100% sure of how to thread this machine correctly. The manual has close-ups of every area of the machine threading except for this (see pics). Am I supposed to place the thread to the left or to the right of this little metal piece. I asked once at the store where I bought it, and they didn't know either and brushed me off and said it didn't matter. But now I'm wondering if it's part of the reason I've had periodic issues with the tension.

Does anyone know if the thread should be to the right or the left here?

left.jpg right.jpg
Old 08-05-2020, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Until you get some real answers from the Jazz II owners, try it both ways and see if it makes a difference for you. Are there any YouTube videos?
Old 08-05-2020, 10:06 AM
JBG

It should go to the left. Hope it corrects your problem.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:06 PM

I'm going to suggest that your tension spring/discs ,(or however tension exists) may have some thread fluff and needs cleaning. I have a BL that has a small removable cover ( before the take-up lever) that I can remove & clean with artist brush. I read a lot of suggestions here to use unflavored dental floss and work it thru the tension discs. Sometimes it is the thread that your machine doesn't like.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:52 PM

To the left. It looks like its threaded correctly. I can't tell but is your thread under that little plate at top? Seems like the Jazzes are different with threading. As mentioned above the bl want to be clean. Clean your bobbin case, etc
Old 08-05-2020, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by amethyst View Post
...Does anyone know if the thread should be to the right or the left here?
You didn't mention which thread is loose. Is the top thread looping on the bottom? Or is the bobbin thread being brought to the top and the top thread pulls out easily?

I'm more familiar with vintage machines, but it seems like "7" is a very tight/high tension number. It also looks like there might be a pretension disc before it goes down that side It looks like the dial is to the right and since it has a little notch on the right side, that it would go down the right side to be guided through the actual tension discs. Another thing to check is to make sure the bobbin thread is going the correct direction and through the spring.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:46 AM

This may help as most BL/Brother machines should thread the same way.

First, roll the hand-wheel so the take up lever is in the highest position. Look at the machine # 2, #3, and # 4 located on the front of the machine. You need to follow the path shown on the "U".

The thread should go in a "U" shape. Down on number 2 side, then around the U on the bottom for number 3, then to the position #4..

At number 4 you have to hook the thread into the take up lever.Then follow to #5 and thread path.

Look at page 14 in the manual for step by step tips on threading. Hope that helps.

PS: In your picture, the thread is incorrect from position #2.

Cut the thread from the spool and pull down though the machine. Don;t pull out thread backwards through the top of machine.

Always re-thread starting fresh at the beginning so you catch all the steps.

Last edited by Rhonda K; 08-06-2020 at 04:52 AM. Reason: To add more tips.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:10 AM

I have a Jazz, the thing I would add to Rhonda K is to make sure your pressure foot is up, to open the tension pathway.

Good Luck

ps ask me how I know haha
Old 08-15-2020, 11:13 AM

the thread (with your foot in the up position) should go down through the slot on the right, (marked 2 in the pic)..
taken from right to left along the bottom,
then up again..
now you should pull your thread to the right..into that cutout...then left over the top of the thread take up lever..(the silver piece), and down again.
At this point, put your foot down and tug on the thread..it should give you resistance..that tells you the thread is in your tension discs properly. If it pulls through very easily, start over, keeping more tension on the thread as you thread the machine, always with your foot up.

Old 08-15-2020, 11:21 AM

Thanks, everyone for your thoughts here. I’ve been keeping it to the left and that seems to be doing the trick. I agree with whoever said that 7 seemed to be high but that’s what’s working for the quilt I’m working on currently. And you’re all correct that I should be cleaning things soon. Too much fuzz.