Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baby Minkee blankets..... need tutorial for kit... >

Baby Minkee blankets..... need tutorial for kit...

Baby Minkee blankets..... need tutorial for kit...

Old 01-24-2011, 09:16 PM

What is minkee? I guess I missed something,,
Old 01-25-2011, 08:26 AM

minky is ultra plush fleece, so soft and cuddlely. I use it to back lap/sofa quilts. It won't take a lot of quilting, so I quilt with a muslin backing and sew the minky on like a pillow case and quilt only the outside of the blocks and border. Fabric.com has a great selection and samples for $1.25. It is fantastic.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:22 AM

My niece made a cute quilt for her nephew for Christmas. She used a pattern that could be either a cat or dog. The pieces were sewn together as a rag quilt would be. The pattern came with nose, mouth and eye pieces that were to be applied and the ears were a seperate pattern pieces. She used minkee and flannel fabrics to make the quilt.
With the color fabric and jungle print that are in the kit, I would like something like a lion or tiger might be what the designer was thinking of. Chris
Old 01-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

That sounds really cute, seweasy!
Old 01-25-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by seweasy
My niece made a cute quilt for her nephew for Christmas. She used a pattern that could be either a cat or dog. The pieces were sewn together as a rag quilt would be. The pattern came with nose, mouth and eye pieces that were to be applied and the ears were a seperate pattern pieces. She used minkee and flannel fabrics to make the quilt.
With the color fabric and jungle print that are in the kit, I would like something like a lion or tiger might be what the designer was thinking of. Chris
Do you know what pattern she used? That sounds really cute & I make a lot of animals for kids.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:17 AM

Thanks for all the help! I'm so excited to make this now, but it will be a couple of weeks before I can get back to it.. Life gets in the way of quilting sometimes!
Old 01-27-2011, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaY
Craft Warehouse has a 40% off one item sale on til Jan. 30 or 31. I just bought a cute minkee (I think that's what they're called) kit to make a gift for a baby boy due in May. Forgot to look at how it was made! There are 2 brown solids, 1 orange solid, and 1 jungle pattern fabric included. Help!!
Hi Brenda,
I’ve made several of these quilts. They are delightfully easy and quick especially in a baby size. My current quilt is a Cuddle fabric from Shannon Fabrics, Inc.
Their web site has patterns: http://www.shannonfabrics.com/index....bd8ed1d4bc92c5
I’m working on an adult size strip quilt for my son; all Cuddle fabric.
The backing Cuddle is starting the process by pinning it to a wall on top of a paint drop cloth (thin plastic).
The batt goes on top of that ~ pin at top and spray baste the layers working down from the top, smooth as you go.
I place the top layers on my bed to keep them in order.
Find the center and spray glue the center strip (horizontal line)
Use ½” seam; 90/40 Schmetz stretch needle (I’ve used my regular quilting needles with no problems also)
The second strip to sew goes face down on this; pin and then take off the wall to sew. Fold open and glue down strip two.
The third strip sews to the other edge of the center strip. You work out from the center in both directions.
Sew and spray glue until you have the size you want.
Hand smooth after each sewn seam when you glue. I never iron this fabric.
Trim the final edges. The binding I use is a 1.5” strip. I sew it to the front; miter the corners and hand stitch the back.

I hope this makes sense. Have fun. See the web site too.
Debbie
Old 02-16-2011, 04:27 PM

Craft Warehouse has a 40% off one item sale on til Jan. 30 or 31. I just bought a cute minkee (I think that's what they're called) kit to make a gift for a baby boy due in May. Forgot to look at how it was made! There are 2 brown solids, 1 orange solid, and 1 jungle pattern fabric included. Help!!
I shop at Craft Warehouse all the time, and when I buy a kit the pattern is always in it. You should ask next time you are in and explain you didn't get the pattern.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:48 AM

Thanks Jen.... I'm side tracked right now, having a huge garage sale w/ a couple of friends tomorrow in Lebanon.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:26 AM

Thanks Jen.... I'm side tracked right now, having a huge garage sale w/ a couple of friends tomorrow in Lebanon.
The last time I was at Craft Warehouse I thought of you and checked the minkee blanket kits and Yes it does say pattern enclosed. Human error I guess if it was missing. Good luck on your garage sale and have fun with your company. By the way are you having any fabric at your sale? If so IM me and let me know where the sale is. Thanks. Oops I just re-read your message and I don't know where Lebanon is. Sorry.