Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Baby quilt with minkee backing

Baby quilt with minkee backing

Calling all quilters......help needed for a fellow quilter in distress!!! I'm doing a simple stitch in the ditch on a baby quilt I've pieced with minkee backing. Even though I've pinned the daylights out of it, I'm still getting some puckering particularly at the end of my line of quilting. I don't have experience with spray basting and am wondering if that would even work with the minkee, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    Deb
    Handle all stressful situations like a dog..... if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Had a friend just last week doing a quilt with minkee....sure used spray basting a walking foot and went slow....worked welll......IMHO walking foot the key to keep top even with bottom....

Maybe the key is to use the spray basting as I am using the walking foot. Do you know if she had any difficulty getting the top and bottom to adhere to each other?
    Deb
    Handle all stressful situations like a dog..... if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Blog Entries
    are you using a walking foot? if you do not have one are you able to (lessen) the pressure of your pressure foot? if the puckering is happening at the ends of your lines---are you pulling-to get to the end?
    i use minkee alot- i lessen my tension just a tad- and let the machine do the work- don't pull on the fabric also- lengthen your stitch length a bit.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

ckcowl.......I am using the walking foot, but you're right.....the tension may be too tight. I'll give another try this evening.....thanks for the tips!
    Deb

I did a rag quilt with minkee on the back, ordered the minkee already cut in squares. Came out cute, but I haven't been in any hurry to do another one with that minkee! It's so soft, but a mess, and hard to work with!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I have used minkee on the backs of several quilts and not had any problems, but I have a mid-arm on a frame.

Oddly enough I've done many things with minkee, but I just can't understand why is it that NOW I'm having difficulties!!! This is the first one I've done stitch in the ditch......can't be because of that.
    Deb

i had a friend use spray basting w/ the minky, and it didn't wash out.......
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Can you loosen the pressure on your presser foot a bit? That really helps when working with any thick fabric.

And don't forget to change it back when you're done...
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    just finished one with minkie backing. Used spray basting, walking foot, pins and took it slow.....Good luck.....Minkie is not my favorite fabric to use tho. :-(
    Myrna

They say money does not buy happiness, but it buys fabric & fabric makes me happy!!