Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Baby Quilt Pattern needed...

Austria, but spent a year in the States and fell in love with the country <3
    ...hello everyone!

I'm new to quilting, I have been sewing for 15 years and have been interested in quilting for a while.

friends of mine are going to have a baby boy in november and that's a great opportunity to sew a baby quilt.

I am looking for a rather easy pattern. I'd like to include football somehow because both of the parents played and it's very important to the whole family, so I thought I'll ask around here... :-)

I'm also interested in any other rather simple baby quilt pattern. So if there's one which would be great for a boy, please let me know!

THANKS!
    mauita

An Around the World or a D9P either one are quite simple and can feature whatever fabric/colors you want.

Welcome for Southeastern, PA!

There are books called Quilts for Baby & More Quilts for Baby by Ursula Reikes that have easy patterns with good instructions. I used these books when teaching beginner quilters a while back.

thank you! so I could try the around the world pattern und just use the fabric I want, so for example a pattern with footballs?

Hi from Georgia. You could do a simple 4 or nine patch with football material.

If you go to "quiltshops.com" and type in football fabric you will find lots to choose from.

http://search.myquiltshops.com/cgi-s...gi?thumbnails=

Power Poster
    Really easy is to check out the fabric stores to see if they have panels that you can put together with an added border. Especially if you need it in a hurry. Or do a search for baby quilts. The fabric stores have such cute baby material that I don't think you should have any problems.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mauita
    thank you! so I could try the around the world pattern und just use the fabric I want, so for example a pattern with footballs?
    Yes, absolutely! Be sure to send us a pic when you finish !
    Love your mug- I'm from that great state!!!!!!!! :D

I sure will!

I lived in NYC for a year and loved it :-)

well are you talking about American football or what we call soccer? either way I would just so a very simple nine patch or four patch. I will take a pic of the one that I am making for a baby shower. I made a coordinating pillow to go with it. Will try and do that when the kids go down for nap in a couple of hours.

american football! :-)

yeah great, I'm looking forward to seeing it!

http://www.thepatternco.com/sports.html

Here's a site that might be of some help.

this is just a simple quilt that I have made with a friend of mine for the mommy. I also whipped up a pillow to match the blanket for a chair or the crib, where ever she wanted to put it. just have to get a pillow to stuff into the pillow case. I am almost done quilting it together. doing a decorative stitch in the ditch method. not a fmq or other type yet. and need to put the binding on, will the same as the pillow boarder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

wow, I love it, the colors are great!!
    the pillow is a great idea, too! :-)

thanks, the baby rooms is done in apple green and aqua blue.

Blog Entries
    A square in a square is a fun and easy pattern too :D:D:D

Hello and welcome from SW Iowa. Glad to have you here.

I make mostly baby quilts and have many baby quilt pattern books. I'll look through them later this evening and see what I find that you might like.

Welcome.

Try this one from the Downey Quilts for Kids site. I have made 2 and they work up very quickly and are great for showcasing a specific fabric.

http://www.quiltsforkids.org/pattern...quilt-pattern/

I already have two different fabrics with american football theme. same color family, though I'm worried it might be too colored/too much pattern for a baby?

Do I have to be careful concerning patterns / too many colors?

Thanks everyone for the warm hello!!
    I already feel home here :-)

And thank you for showing me your baby quilts - I love to see your work!

too many colors or too close in color or too busy? never herd such a thing in a baby quilt. it will help stimulate the brain. :-) I would do what you want with the colors and patterns. But I will say this, if you want it to be used, the simpler the better when it comes for a baby quilt. unless you know the mommy well and she knows that you made it to be used. there are many mommies that don't want the blanket to get ruined. I have a few knitted blankets that I will be pulling out for my kids in a couple of years when i know that they wont destroy them to bits. (mostly because the wonderful ladies who made them would be hurt that they were torn to bits by kids.) my kids are a little rough on things.

I just don't want it to be uneasy for the baby in any way, like, too many patterns/colors etc.

I love quilt blocks but I've always been to impatient to do a quilt with lots of blocks. I've just found my new passion. I pick one block I like (usually 4 patch or 5 patch) and use that one block for a huge block, usually about 36" x 36". Then I add borders to hit the 45" x 60" crib quilt size. I am having a ball playing with colors and patterns. I've made two ANNIE'S CHOICE (imagine that!), one WHIRLPOOL, one SISTER'S CHOICE, one TRAILING STAR, and one cheater IRISH CHAIN.

One big advantage to doing one big block is that I can use fabric with bigger designs. You might find a state block, or maybe even a block with your name or your kid's name to use.