Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Baby Quilts - do you make

I am making a pinwheel baby quilt with cotton on the top and flannel on the back.
    Laura

I normally make them out of 100% cotton. I do think polly batting or a mix batting is nice versus the heavy and stiff Warm and Natural.
    Anna Quilts

I've done only flannel, only cotton, cotton/flannel, and I've used minkee on the back of a few of them. When my sister lived in California, she had me make a quilt for a friend of hers that was having a baby with just cotton and minkee~no batting. There are no limitations!!!
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

I use 100% Cotton and does not have a "baby" theme. I make the quilt crib size which is about 44 X 54. As the child grows, the quilt can go from the crib to the toddler bed and also can be used as a playmat on the floor. My 8 year old granddaughter still snuggles with hers.

I use regular childrens fabrics but use flannel for the backing only, other wise it is too thick for me to hand quilt.

I've used both cotton panels and flannel panels. Have not used minky, the material is too slinky for my taste!
    Heather

Blog Entries
    Baby cotton flannels with a minky is my fabric of choice. These wash and dry easily and the quilts continue to look and be soft for years to come.
    Sharon (The "Babyquiltlady")
    http://www.uniquebabyquiltboutique.com
    http://learnhowtomakequiltbinding.com

I've used all of them as well as chenille. It adds alot of texture to the blanket.

I'm partial to soft cottons or flannel. I don't do well with minky type fabrics.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I'm afraid to use minky in my sewing machine. I'm afraid it will cause problems with my machine, so I gave away all my minky. I use cotton and flannel both.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QUILTNMO View Post
    I make alot of them with cotton on front and flannel on back or if i use flannel on front ill use cotton on back
    This is what I do, too

Mine are almost always 100% cotton. Occasionally I have used flannel for the back - babies can't escape the warmth that way! - but I prefer plain muslin. It just feels right to me.

From all the baby quilts that I have made, I have always used all cotton for front, back and the batting. Since I don't prewash any of the fabrics first, I can count on the whole thing shrinking up the same amount.

Blog Entries
    the flannels i use are 100% cotton-
    once in a while i may back a baby quilt with minkie-
    i pretty much never make them out of fleece.
    i make quilt tops out of quilting fabrics- flat cottons and flannels- i back them with flannels or minkie-or regular cottons depending on the baby- location- wishes of parents- what appeals to me at the time-
    but flannel is cotton too- just a different weave & brushed to give it a softer face.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I'm afraid to use minky in my sewing machine. I'm afraid it will cause problems with my machine, so I gave away all my minky. I use cotton and flannel both.
    why would you think minkie would hurt your machine? it is made to be machine stitched- hand stitching it is about impossible.
    i've been using minkie for 7 or 8 years now (since it really hit the market= i use it with my domestic (viking machine) and i use it as backs with the long arm- --- it does not make the lint that regular cotton does- and really is nice to work with (as long as you keep from stretching it)
    the cut edges do shed- i tend to buy it in pieces i do not have to recut---and when i get it home i take it outside & give it a good shake- but it is polyester and does not create lint like cotton does so it is much cleaner to sew than what you generally abuse your machine with.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by patchsamkim View Post
    I like cottons for the front of the quilt and flannel for the back of the quilt. Personally, I think the Minky is hard to quilt with, but it does make a cozy backing.
    That's what I use too. I just feel that flannel isn't as slippery when holding a baby wrapped up in a quilt.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

I usually use cotton and use fannel for backings. I make sure I wash the fannel better using it

It depends on where the baby lives and the time of year. I really love the feel of minkie, but I think cotton is more versatile in terms of seasons.

mostly cotton, but i have used flannel. I usually use wehatever I have in my stash, so I tend to make scrappy baby quilts.

Always cotton, never minky or fleece. Just my way not a criticism of those who use other fabrics.

I try to make baby quilts for each new baby in our church, plus my son is 27 now and has lots of friends who are now married and having babies.... I always use cotton. The reason? I'm scared to try sewing flannel or Minkie! I have seen my sewing skills improve as I've made more and more, but since I'm just improving on that, I don't want to risk going backward! Have fun with whatever you choose!

When I made my cousin's baby quilt I used a light flannel that matched the large panel front which was cotton. It turned out wonderful.

Baby Quilt-Here the one I made for Anna Lucille

I made this baby quilt for my cousin's baby, Anna Lucille. I loved making this, it was the first one I ever made. I did hand tie using yarn. I used a cute panel made of cotton on the front and used the matching flannel on the back. I made this two years ago, it seems just like yesterday!

And yes, I bought animals to go with the quilt as well. LOL

Hope this helps you.
    Evelyn
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just finished two baby quilts, both were 100% cotton - they wash up soft and cuddly
    NormaBeth
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

Since I hand piece and hand quilt, cotton is the only thing that works.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast