Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baby Shower gift delemma >

Baby Shower gift delemma

Baby Shower gift delemma

Old 06-07-2012, 01:58 PM

Well since you asked her what colours she would like I think should more or less go with her colors. It will be your own personnel challenge. The log cabin idea sounds good and you can do like some have suggested and make a colorful back.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:02 PM

Black and gray just doen't seem like a baby color scheme. I would go with your instincts and make an adorable baby quilt. I'm sure the parents will love it.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:39 PM

I usually ask if the parents have selected a nursury theme, and try to coordinate with it. I think once I ask, I take it as a challenge to match what they pick since that is what they like. I think You could slip in some bright colors to go with the black, grey and white and it would be cute for a baby. Still, you never know if they will like it no matter how much effort you make. My step-daughter chose blue and brown for her son, and painted the walls dark chocolate brown. I knocked myself out to paper piece vehicles (planes, trains, cars and boats) with brown, blue and cream and it matched wonderfully. I never saw the quilt again ...
Old 06-07-2012, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
I don't ask what people want. I just make the baby quilt unless something specific has been mentioned in the shower invitation. After all, it is a gift. You know the circumstances go with your own best judgment. I would NOT feel compelled to go with black and grey. They may not use the quilt in the bedroom anyway.
Yes this is my vote. It is hard enough to get it done to have to work with limits sometimes I don,t get "it" done. I have been known to buy a box of Pampers instead of giving a quilt.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:22 PM

You asked the mother if she had a color preference - she gave you one - how do you then reject her choice?
This could be a slippery slope...
Black and gray could be used just fine with another color added. Think bears! Think black, white and bright.

Last edited by M.I.Late; 06-07-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Xtgirl View Post
I like the idea of the grey and black or the mother color choices for the front I bet you could do a pretty neat log cabin quilt with black grey and white and then use the colorful fabric for the back. That way everyone would be happy. One side is for the baby that can't see colors anyway and can be used in the bedroom that doesn't clash and then the bright colorful side as the baby grows and can be used in any other room. Then the parents decide which works for them. I think it might be a lovely compromise and make everyone feel valued
Well said....
Sounds like a perfect solution to me.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:57 AM

I don't quilt for money...I am 64 and am at that time of my life when I can finally do what I want when I want. When making gifts for family I may or may not inquire about what color they want (If I don't ask I don't consider it). I make what I want when I want and if you like it you can have it, if you promise to use it and not put it away. I just don't seem to be able to get my soul into a quilt that does not talk to me. I prefer to make a quilt and then give it away..not quilt to order.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:28 AM

I recently made a baby quilt for the grandbaby of a very good friend. I don't know the mom very well so I asked what color they were using for the baby's room. The answer was brown and pink - no problem! But when I looked at her gift registry, all the patterns were very sophisticated looking...not my taste for babies at all but that's my taste - not hers - so I made a rail fence with browns, pinks and green accents. It looked good and I liked it when I got finished but still not my taste for a baby. The mom loves it as well as my friend. And I'm glad but I didn't enjoy making that one as much as the next one which was what caught my eye (and was still very much appreciated by the parents).

This is my long-winded way of saying - since you asked, go with what the mom requested even if it's not your taste. The finished quilt may surprise you. Many very good suggestions have been offered (and given me ideas for future use...LOL)
Old 06-08-2012, 04:28 AM

Personally, if you asked my opinion and then didn't honor them, my feelings would be hurt.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:45 AM

I had 3 grandbabies in 2010 and 2 of them were girls. The colors requested for one was black/white/grey/hot pink and the other was black/white/grey/red. I made them as requested. Not my favorite, but I don't have to live with them and I don't want to go to a lot of work and have it not be used.

Also, it's well known that brand new babies can't distinquish colors for awhile and black and white is all they see. A lot of little baby toys are black and white.