Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Babylock 3 spool BL3-406 >

Babylock 3 spool BL3-406

Babylock 3 spool BL3-406

Old 06-18-2013, 12:59 PM

Default Babylock 3 spool BL3-406

I received an Babylock serger BL3-406 from my daughter's husbands grandma and i took it too my repair man and he said the timing was off and cannot get it to stitch, but it runs smooth, does anyone have this model of serger and could give me some advise or should i just put it into the trash, and be done with it. I have never had a serger and i thought if i could get this one to work, it would do anything that i would want from a serger. Shirley
Old 06-18-2013, 09:43 PM

Hi - I tried to find that particular machine on the BL website but it is not showing up.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:45 PM

Hi - I tried to find that particular machine on the BL website but it is not showing up. However, I did a google search and found this comment from a blog:
I can tell you a little about my serger, assuming they are similar. Mine is a very basic 3/2 serger from the 1980's. I bought it used a couple of years ago - first and only serger I've ever owned. Keeping in mind that I do pretty basic sewing, this machine is the bomb for me. It was truly the best $50 I ever spent on anything!

Pros - it is a very sturdy solid metal machine, nothing like the flimsy plastic on machines you see today. It will probably last forever! I mainly use it to finish seams and fabric edges and it makes a perfect stitch at lightning speed. It also does 2 thread rolled edge hemming. In other words it does the basics very well. Mostly likely I will never get another serger since this one answers my needs. I've never had a single problem with it since I got it. All parts, including knife blades, are still available for this model.

Cons - doesn't have all the bells and whistles if that is what you're looking for. The biggest "con" is that it uses the DCX1 needles that are available, but you have to hunt them down. You can buy them online and in some sewing stores, but just be aware that they aren't the common serger needles you usually see.

It isn't exactly what I'd call easy to thread, either, it takes practice and patience (tie on your new thread to the old thread - DO NOT remove the old thread when changing it out!) Also it takes several steps to switch from 3 thread serging to 2 thread rolled hemming.

If you are looking for the easiest machine to use or the one with the latest features, you'll probably want to upgrade soon. However, your time won't be wasted on this one because you will learn how a serger works on a very straightforward machine without worrying about dozens of stitch possibilities that would only be confusing for a beginner.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:46 PM

Hi - I tried to find that particular machine on the BL website but it is not showing up. However, I did a google search and found this comment from a blog:
I can tell you a little about my serger, assuming they are similar. Mine is a very basic 3/2 serger from the 1980's. I bought it used a couple of years ago - first and only serger I've ever owned. Keeping in mind that I do pretty basic sewing, this machine is the bomb for me. It was truly the best $50 I ever spent on anything!

Pros - it is a very sturdy solid metal machine, nothing like the flimsy plastic on machines you see today. It will probably last forever! I mainly use it to finish seams and fabric edges and it makes a perfect stitch at lightning speed. It also does 2 thread rolled edge hemming. In other words it does the basics very well. Mostly likely I will never get another serger since this one answers my needs. I've never had a single problem with it since I got it. All parts, including knife blades, are still available for this model.

Cons - doesn't have all the bells and whistles if that is what you're looking for. The biggest "con" is that it uses the DCX1 needles that are available, but you have to hunt them down. You can buy them online and in some sewing stores, but just be aware that they aren't the common serger needles you usually see.

It isn't exactly what I'd call easy to thread, either, it takes practice and patience (tie on your new thread to the old thread - DO NOT remove the old thread when changing it out!) Also it takes several steps to switch from 3 thread serging to 2 thread rolled hemming.

If you are looking for the easiest machine to use or the one with the latest features, you'll probably want to upgrade soon. However, your time won't be wasted on this one because you will learn how a serger works on a very straightforward machine without worrying about dozens of stitch possibilities that would only be confusing for a beginner.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:51 AM

I would find a Juki or industrial machine repairman. That serger was built by Juki for Babylock. I am suspect of the diagnoses of timing being off. She would have had to run something pretty thick through the old girl before the timing went out. Those machines were built on an industrial platform. If I were to guess I would say improper threading or maybe a bent looper, timing wouldn't make my radar. Another thing that can really affect the stitch quality on a serger is a dull knife.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:59 AM

Thank you for your comments, i will take to my Babylock dealer, and see what he says, my thought was the same as the last comment. Thanks again Shirley
Old 06-19-2013, 10:22 AM

most machines can be retimed
Old 06-19-2013, 01:27 PM

I thought of something else on my bike ride to work! Maybe the rolled hem plate is inserted instead of the stitch plate. That will cause all manner of grief. I hope you get it sorted out. The old sergers are really tanks.