Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Babylock Jane interest >

Babylock Jane interest

Babylock Jane interest

Old 03-06-2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
I love my Viking Sapphire with simple threading and drop in bobbin.
The only reason I got a Jane was to put it on a frame and add a stitch regulator for long arm type sewing. Cant afford a big throat machine.
It is primitive compared to my Sapphire with a 10 inch throat.
I guess any machine made before the electronics were invented and any machine that is like them can be called primitive, but my point is that sometimes and for some applications, the primitive machine is better! I learned on a super primitive machine (a singer treadle) and have progressed along with the inventiveness of the machine companies. The 'primitive' machines were workhorses, were easy to fix, and didn't cost an arm and a leg to repair. Can't say the same for either of my electronic modern machines. I guess it's all in what you want in a machine, and I do look forward to using the PQ1500S. Thanks all for your imput, I do appreciate all of your comments.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:07 PM

I learned to sew on a Singer treadle machine too.
Had a featherweight many years ago and dont remember what happend to it. Would be nice to have now.
So far I havnt had any repairs on my Sapphire, its been a great machine but I do have it serviced now and then.
I got the Jane so I could put a stitch regulator on it and love it so far. Do wish it had a drop in bobbin so could see when the bobbin gets low. The bobbin it has is very pickey and has to be just right to work. The threading is a hassle because when on a frame you need to have it all the way to the end in order to rethread it from the side.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

I use the machines I have on top of dining table for quilting and sewing cabinet for piecing. I have straight stitch machines - because - tada- all I do is make quilts and piece them. I don't need or want anything fancier than what I have.
Sorry I forgot the knee lift, I don't use mine, sticks out too far for the space I have to sew in, I walk into it. So I don't use it.