Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Babylock Soprano Question >

Babylock Soprano Question

Babylock Soprano Question

Old 02-09-2023, 11:54 AM

Default Babylock Soprano Question

Good afternoon. Just curious if anyone who has the BL Soprano if you've been able to free motion quilt with it.

I have the worst luck trying to FMQ... all I get are skipped stitches...lots of them. I've tried slowing down, changing brands of thread, and changing backing and batting and nothing works. Could be me, but just wondering if others have any luck. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2023, 02:30 PM

Try changing your needle. For FMQ on my domestic machines I like a 90/14 topstitch needle. Also, if you are using a floating foot rather than a hopping foot you may have it adjusted too high off the fabric- try lowering it so it just skims the surface of the fabric- you should still be able to move the fabric easily with no friction.
Rob
Old 02-09-2023, 02:35 PM

I don't have a BL, but I ran into this same thing when I tried a new ruler foot. Rob is right; by lowering the foot it fixed the skipping issues.
Old 02-10-2023, 05:29 AM

Agree with lowering the foot. This happens when your fabric bounces as the needle is going up and down. Keeping the foot lower helps to prevent the bounce. Make multiple adjustments if needed to find the right height. You want the fabric to move freely, but you also want the foot close to the fabric.