Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
babylock Tiara mid-arm quilting machine >

babylock Tiara mid-arm quilting machine

babylock Tiara mid-arm quilting machine

Old 11-15-2023, 08:56 AM

Default babylock Tiara mid-arm quilting machine

Hello:

I bought my machine used and did not receive any training. I have successfully quilted, but now that I have Christmas gifts to complete am having difficulties with the machine. The bottom threads are not what they should be. If anyone has information regarding this quilting machine, please let me know as I am stuck.

Thank you,
Debbie
Old 11-15-2023, 09:05 AM

When you insert your bobbin into its case, how do you check the tension? This is the way I do it. Lay the bobbin case in the palm of your hand. Pull up on the thread. The case should stand up on its edge, but it should not lift out of your hand. If it doesn't stand up, tighten the tiny tension screw on the bobbin case until it does. (A little adjustment goes a long way.) If the case lifts out of your hand, loosen the tension. Once that is done, try stitching. You might have to adjust your machine's tension knob now that your bobbin tension is correct. I used my Tiara for many years successfully. I also used Signature thread, which is what the shop suggested when I bought the Tiara new. Good luck. I hope this works for you.
Old 11-15-2023, 10:01 AM

Your description of the issue is really vague, but know this:
Problems with the thread on the bottom of the quilt mean there is something off with the upper thread. Start by completely re-threading the machine. If you still have trouble, you may need to replace the check spring, they do wear out.
Old 11-15-2023, 11:02 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Hopefully you got a manual. Check your tension knob for lint/thread piece. Also oil it if you haven’t lately.
Oh, FYI, my Tiara, which I love, will only need a trip to the “hospital” at Christmas time!
Old 11-17-2023, 12:03 PM

The Tiara is the same as the same as the HandiQuilter Sweet 16. HQ has a lot of videos on YouTube regarding setting tension. I particularly like one by Jamie Wallen on his channel. It is titled something about long arm tension, but it applies to sitdowns too. You always start with adjusting the bobbin tension, then you adjust top tension as needed.