Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Back to the Basics >

Back to the Basics

Back to the Basics

Old 09-16-2021, 09:25 PM

Default Back to the Basics

Hello all!

I used to be very active on the Quilting Board and loved it! A few years ago, I had to downsize and got rid of almost all my quilting materials. Just recently, I've been able to designate a crafting area for myself in our family room and GREATLY desire to get back into quilting.

I'm starting almost from scratch with just a sewing machine and some quilting hoops (I hand quilt).

So, my question:

What would you say I need the most to start out with as far as quilting tools go? I'm not sure where to even start. I've been out of the game for so long

Thanks in advance!

Colletta
Old 09-17-2021, 02:52 AM

Welcome back! And hello from a fellow hand quilter.

I would start with a cutting mat; rotary cutter and a 6x24" ruler. Some neutral thread. Pins; assorted needles. Good thimble. After that, find a project you want to do and purchase fabric/batting requirements for that project. I don't maintain a stash. I buy for each project. I don't have room to store a stash and my likes/dislikes change often enough that I see no point for myself to maintain a stash. That said, I do over-buy a bit for my projects so usually have some reasonably usable scraps for small projects to entertain myself between larger projects. Otherwise, I give my leftovers to a local quilting friend who does a lot of charity sewing.

Have fun in your new craft area!
Old 09-17-2021, 04:15 AM

Welcome back to both the boards and quilting.

I'm having some major changes in my life and have been reorganizing and re-prioritizing my belongings both in my sewing room and life in general.

I think after my sewing machine and kit that contains things like my scissors and threads and needles and various odds and ends, after a sewing machine I need a rotary cutter, a mat, a 6.5x24 ruler and a square of some sort, probably at least 10.5".
Old 09-17-2021, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

Welcome back! Start by asking yourself what part of quilting you enjoy the most. Piecing…you will need cutting mat and rotary cutter. Hand quilting…all you need are your needle, thread and quilt sandwich. I might start with a lap or baby quilt panel and hand quilt it.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:00 PM

I went shopping today! I got a cutting mat, rotary cutter 3-pack (has rotary cutter, scissors and snips), ironing mat, a teeny tiny iron, threads, needles, pins and a few other misc. items. Oh and some fat quarters to make a Disappearing 9 Patch so I can start out with something easy. I still had a 6.5"X24 ruler from years gone by

Thanks so much for the ideas!
Old 09-18-2021, 03:12 AM

Enjoy the re-boot of your quilting life. It sounds like you have a plan and are ready t go. I so admire those who function without a stash. I inherited mine and it has been years, nearly 20, to lean how to manage it. Vast stash and then my own limited contributions have stretched the time out far to long. Enjoy the serenity of your hand work and send photos of progress and finishes.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:37 AM

Welcome back!

Glad you found a way to create your space for sewing again. I use a double sided tackle box for storing notions. They are easy to access. Easy to close up and pack for sewing class. I would add some decorative storage boxes for the projects. Another option are the 3 tier carts. They can roll right into a closet if needed and come in many different colors.

Best wishes on your journey!
Old 09-18-2021, 05:15 AM

Welcome back from Round Rock, TX!
Old 09-18-2021, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Colletta, I'm so glad you got back to a hobby you love!
I also love hand quilting but don't do it as much as I use to. I'm trying to make decent machine quilting stitches these days......
But I'll never give up hand quilting. It's so relaxing and I love the look.
Happy you're back!
Old 09-18-2021, 07:46 AM

Welcome back from Southern California! If you can manage it, a shelving unit would help you stay organized. And of course, a seam ripper. My days without sewing are just not complete.