Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Back tack >

Back tack

Back tack

Old 01-21-2017, 10:26 AM

Default Back tack

My quilts I actually call " comforters " because I knot them, as they go to missions. My questions is this....I see in many web sites where patches are being pieced, that no one back tacks. I do as I'm concerned they will not be as strong. Should I not be concerned? " Old habits die hard" .Thanks
Old 01-21-2017, 10:45 AM

i would continue as you are doing. when i first started quilting years ago i did the same as you. then i read in quilt mag articles (where i basically, learned to quilt) that there was no need to back tack as the stitching lines of added patches would secure all. but for tied quilts i would back tack ..for the same reason as you. it will make them more sturdy. especially if being donated to shelters, homless etc where they will be subjected to rough, but appreciated, usage.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

I've never back tacked my piecing. I machine piece using a short stitch length. It would make the edges a bit more secure, but when you sew the blocks together, the opposing stitching will lock everything in place. Even if the seam winds up at the edge, the binding or birthing seam should keep it there.

If you feel more comfortable doing this, however, then by all means continue! There are no quilt police.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

i don't back tack because it adds thickness to the seam thread and where patches meet, it makes them more difficult to fold flat.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:18 PM

So many good ways to go! I tie my I-Spy baby quilts, which are composed of 80 unique squares. I do not back tack, and so far I've had no problems.

One problem I did encounter, tho, was my knots coming undone. Where I had been using traditional square knots, I now use a type of surgeon's knot that's basically a double-tied double knot.