Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Background size? >

Background size?

Background size?

Old 04-26-2018, 03:39 AM

Well, this topic sure got off the question, didn't it? Hey, I remember the 70s and 80s. That was an era of poly blends and before quilters thought they didn't need to be purists in what they used in their quilts. They used what they had and some of those poly blends were nice. Unless you find the plates to be unacceptable to be handled (dirty or too smelly), I'd look at them for what was used and, if they are not something totally out there, I'd put them on a background of a size that is pleasant to you and quilt it before washing. Once that is secure on the background and quilted, it probably isn't going to shrink appreciably. As to background size, I agree with those who have mentioned what you want to do with the "blank" space and sashing, considering the size you hope the quilt to be. Congratulations on the rescue of these and wanting to finish your mother's work. She will be pleased to be looking over your shoulder! Wow--60 of them!! (Again, I recommend not washing until those plates are stabilized. You may end up with them falling apart.)

Last edited by illinois; 04-26-2018 at 03:41 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:55 AM

Audition different sizes. Figuring in sashing and borders, how big do you want the quilt top to be.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Do you like an "open" look - lots of "blank" space around the Dresden Plates?

Or do you like them looking more "closed in" by almost touching the sashing or each other?
Old 04-26-2018, 01:40 PM

I checked my Dresden plate quilt (a gift from a friend) and it has 12.5" plates and is on a 15" finished background. It has a 3" finished sash. I have some plate blocks I bought at an estate sale and they are 8.25" on 12" unfinished background. The sashing for that one is cut at 3" unfinished.

I'm with klswift, just try it on different sizes and see what you like. Dummy up the sashing, too and see how wide you think that should be. Dresden Plate is so pretty, you can't possibly go wrong.

bkay