Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Backing / batting - not wide enough >

Backing / batting - not wide enough

Backing / batting - not wide enough

Old 03-20-2021, 09:38 AM

Default Backing / batting - not wide enough

First- Tartan, thanks for recommending the storm at seas with the hearts. It’s going much faster than the appliqué I’ve done.

I have my backing but it’s not wide enough. What’s the best way to put the two pieces together?

Same problem and question with the batting. Do I just butt two batting pieces together and zigzag?

Thanks
Old 03-20-2021, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

Glad the pattern is working for you. You can do a row of leftover pieced blocks down the backing to make it wider. Don’t try to center the row but off set it to one side. Trying to keep a row centered on a backing is tough.
I use a zig zag in off white thread and butt 2 pieces of batting together and sew down the center. You may need to straighten the batting edges before you start so they go together well.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:06 AM

I never thought to piece the backing so it was not centered. I so agree with you on how difficult getting it centered and keeping it centered can be. Learn something new every day. I agree with the technique that Tartan is using for stitching together the batting. I save all my smaller pieces and use them for pot holders and the like or even for smaller quilts. Nothing goes to waste.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mazo View Post
First- Tartan, thanks for recommending the storm at seas with the hearts. It’s going much faster than the appliqué I’ve done.

I have my backing but it’s not wide enough. What’s the best way to put the two pieces together?

Same problem and question with the batting. Do I just butt two batting pieces together and zigzag?

Thanks
Thanks- I guess I’ll need to make more blocks- I don’t have any leftover- maybe can do a storm at sea runner and see how that looks.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:59 PM

I just butt the edges together and do a wide zigzag. Works for me.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:33 PM

Depending on how wide your backing is, you may be able to piece it diagonally. I've done this several times and it works well. Here's a link to Jinny Beyer's page on pieced backings, scroll down about halfway for details and a helpful pdf.
https://jinnybeyer.com/a-solution-fo...acking-fabric/

Old 03-23-2021, 10:24 AM

Advice from Tartan above is exactly what I would do. Good Luck.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:56 PM

I always piece the backs of my quilts usually with extra blocks from the front.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:53 AM

When piecing batting, I use the zig zag stitch that each zig and zag is composed of smaller stitches. This works perfectly and does not buckle. I also lay the pieces edges over one another so that the edges are exact.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:05 AM

I have never done the zig-zag on the batting, I use the iron on tape, but give the zig-zag a try. We all get stuck in the rut of what works best for us. I need to look for the storms at sea you mentioned in your original post, Juliasb. SAS is on my bucket list.