Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Backing Material >

Backing Material

Backing Material

Old 01-02-2011, 04:09 AM

Try http://www.backsidefabrics.com They are an online store that specializes in Backings...they have clearance sections etc. Perhaps you could find something good there.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
Originally Posted by purplemem
I use the marbled blenders from

http://www.marshalldrygoods.com

They are usually $6 for 108 wide. Great thickness.
I just checked this site out OMG I love it. But can someone help me figure out how much I would need.

The quilt is 90" x 90". Would I need just 3 yards? Trying to figure out how much backing and batting I need is really hard for me to figure out and I do not know why.
Hiya Airwick (smile)
You're right, you'd need 3 yrds...It's already 108" wide..So you'd need about that much length as well... Just remember there are 36" in one yard..36 x's 3 = 108"..So it would measure 108 by 108", plenty material for a 90"x90"..And If you plan on using a longarmer to quilt it ( they need a little xtra material to attach it to the longarm machine from what I hear) and 108x108 would be plenty...
Now if you're trying to figure out yrdge off of a reg bolt for a backing/batting.. Just remember the width (salvage to salvage) usually measures 44" to 45". Times(x's) that- 44 x's2=88" etc (always check the width measurements. They measure differently often).. Then do it the other way as explained above = 36"s in a yrd...I hope this was somewhat clear and helps lmao...If you're getting the bare minimum don't forget to add in your 1/4 inch seam allowances...

Edit: Just a thought: I really think it would be a great idea to have a thread going for us all to report sites/stores that have great pricing/sales this year ( and sticky it)..Since the prices will be going up so high..And we really don't know who and just how much sites/stores plan on increasing their prices...
Old 01-02-2011, 10:31 AM

I order my wide backing from overrainbow.com or thousandsofbolts.com.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
can you use a sheet that matches the bedding that is what I usually use and I have not problem handquilting them.
UP North, what thread count do you use since you hand quilt? I read in many posts and a lot of other places not to use higher than 150 if you are handquilting, but I am not sure I like that low of a thread count. Would 200 thread count be good to use?
Old 01-03-2011, 06:54 AM

I use the 200 count Main Stay sheets from Walmart and have not had any problems hand quilting through them they do not pill like some of the lower count ones and I have has some for years with no signs of wear.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
I use the 200 count Main Stay sheets from Walmart and have not had any problems hand quilting through them they do not pill like some of the lower count ones and I have has some for years with no signs of wear.
Great thank you for your prompt reply :). That is what I will be using for now on. I just love this board... :)
Old 01-10-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Missysgottohelp
I was wondering where you ladies get you wide backing material. The only one I found where I live is at Hobby Lobby and it was a muslin. My Mom asked me to make a dark purple quilt for my SIL but I don't really want to piece the back if I can find some wider fabric. Thought I would put cream color on the back since I sent them cream color sheets for the bed for Christmas. Thanks for your help.
I get mine at Fabric Depot in Portland, Oregon, they have a web site www.fabricdepot.com, also in Gresham Oregon is Craft Warehouse. They have the wide backing. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:03 PM

Thank you for asking this wonderful question, now I have information of where I can go online to buy qide backing in colors. Bless you and THANK YOU! Sandi
Originally Posted by Missysgottohelp
I was wondering where you ladies get you wide backing material. The only one I found where I live is at Hobby Lobby and it was a muslin. My Mom asked me to make a dark purple quilt for my SIL but I don't really want to piece the back if I can find some wider fabric. Thought I would put cream color on the back since I sent them cream color sheets for the bed for Christmas. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:34 PM

I just bought the Mainstay sheets from Walmart today, and got them home before I realized they are a cotton/poly blend. I've used a blend before, and it resulted in lots of pilling after a few washings. Does anyone know how these stand up to wear and washing? Thanks
Old 01-21-2011, 04:47 PM

I have used MainStay sheets on my beds for years and no pilling also use them for quilt backs I have not had any pilling problems.