Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Quilting Habit ?

Many people die and all their unfinished quilts never get finished, so mine get done. No way will I spend my time and money on a quilt and not get the satisfaction of it being done. Believe me the families may send the to salvation army or the dump.
    Recently at our county fair there was an absolutely gorgeous croucheted (sp) bedspread and I saw a lady having her picture taken in front of it, so I asked if she made it and she said no all these squares (about 40) were done, but never put together and I bought them at salvation army for less than $10. But in honor of the person who spent so many hours doing this I finished it for her and wanted people to se it. She had enough for 3 pillows too.

I give away almost all the quilts I make, so I usually have a specific person in mind as I'm sewing. I like to imagine them using their quilts, and that helps me get each project done.

My bad habit is that I don't have my fabrics sorted very well. I usually buy fabric for a project and then discover that there was something in my stash that would have worked just as well. I need to make myself get it all sorted and start using some of it.

Quote Originally Posted by justme2
    I love making quilt tops,from K size to miniatures.The whole process from planning,cutting & piecing is fun,but not finishing them.Can't hand sew & my machine "quilting"is a joke :-)
    So my worst problem is piling up quilt tops.Once it's done, I'm off to next one....& so it goes.
    How do others handle that? What is your solution? Do you have a bad quilting habit?
    I also have your bad habit. But recently I decided to just finish up everything before I start another. Well that worked partially. I did finish up a lot, but I also started one more. Down to 3 more to be quilted, not including the new top. But after that I want to make a scrappy quilt. Possibly quilt as you go, so I'll have lots of quilted squares, then I'll just have to sew them together. This is such an addicting hobby. But I love it. It keeps me sane. I think!

Blog Entries
    when it comes to quilting, it's only a bad habit if it makes you feel bad or if it interferes with the other important aspects of your life. ;-)

Blog Entries
    I agree Patrice :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I stitch in the ditch for most of my quilts. It's easy and the quilt looks quilted. The few I have sent out to nearby machine quilters was were not at all to my liking. I sent one back to have the skipped stitches taken out and redone and was informed that skipped stitches were acceptable! Quilters that won't learn how to use their expensive quilting machines, and I do not get along.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I am also not very good at finishing the quilts. I will iff there is a deadline (well, on my timeline = deadline + 2 years. lol) So I decided to improve on my lacking machine quilting skills and just started an 8-week class at the local dealer. This week was the first session and I was absolutely flabbergasted of the things I learned JUST on straight quilting. There is hope. Until then, I will continue to add to the pile of tops and revel in the joy of making them.

As a relatively new quilter, I've pieced only two lap size quilts, the rest have been small wall hangings. I like the wall hanging size because I can find the concentration to sandwhich, quilt and bind.

I try not to start too many new projects when I have lots of unfinished ones because it makes me feel tense like I have too much piling up.

I'd really like to try my first full sized quilt, but I find it a little daunting! I'm thinking after Christmas I'll give it a try.

What's wrong with just quilt tops! I have a beautiful barrister bookcase where I display mine - folded up nicely. Tops take up less space. I know I'll finish t hem someday. If not, I have someone designated to oversee my quilts when I die.

ali

Quote Originally Posted by costumegirl
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I'm with you- really bad at finishing them. I go like a maniac and then get bored with the one I'm working on, especially if it's not turning out as well as I would like (like the one I'm working on now, a zillion things to match up at every stage) So......... I end up with too many tops.
    The sorta good news is when I leave them for awhile my interest becomes renewed and they look better than I remembered so then I finish them!!! :D
    LOL!!! Your comment fits me exactly!!! Are you sure we aren't long lost twins??
    Maybe we're triplets???

My problem is quilt kits. I just can't resist them and I never get around to doing them. I guess I'm keeping them to do when I retire. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I have a bad habit, it's finishing the top, then storing it away for "someday". But a finished top is better than a bag of scraps. Just do whatever you are in the mood for at the time. Happiness and creativity is the key, and there is no police putting restrictions and limitations.

Blog Entries
    There are no "BAD" habits in quilting, just different creative outlets!
    I try, keyword is try, to finish each project as it comes along, but must admit there are some UFO's and orphans in my closet. They'll make it into something someday.
    Right now my creative outlet is waiting to go on the frame for quilting.
    But I've put a different machine on there, so I'll have to do some practice with that first. Quilt on !!

Quote Originally Posted by quilt addict
    When I helped my Mom last year switch her sewing room because the long arm would only fit in the master bedroom, we counted her tops. She had over 40 that are waiting to be quilted. She did most of them by hand so that is why they would accumulate. So I am sure my sister and I will have lots to do some day. Unfortunately, she is not warming to her new machine. But we keep encouraging her.

I just need to get more time to sew. But hope to clear up some UFO soon.
    Why not go in there and use the LA yourself and help her finish those 40 UFO's?

I'm a new quilter and am enjoying reading this thread. My dear friend and I took a quilting course together and got together every Sunday evening to do our "homework". The class is finished, but we continue to get together most Sunday nights to work on our projects. She completely finishes something before moving on. Not me. Right now a spare bed is draped with a top and a pieced backing waiting for the mood to make the sandwich. Another project is quilted and waiting for binding - I'm saving that for our next Sunday together. Another has rail blocks done and the material for some solid blocks, borders, etc are with it waiting for the right moment to decide exactly how they're going to go together. Then there's the quilt for a grandboy that's completely cut out and waiting for sewing time. Oh - and a quilt as you go that's about 2/3 finished. I LIKE switching among these things as I tire of one. Or choosing something based on the time I have right then to work on it. Glad to know my friend is not "Right" and I'm ... gulp ... wrong! We're just different styles of quilters!

One way I've found around all those lose tops...I make my quilts reversible and use two tops per quilt! I pick my favorite for the front and quilt (usually stitch-in-ditch) to suit that quilt and the back side just goes along with whatever I do on the front. I try to use similar colors on both sides, or fabric themes, but sometimes not and they look wonderful too. A dear friend suggested always making the binding FIRST and then it's like a bonus when you are ready, and it's waiting for you.

Blog Entries
    I do think that not finishing a project is a bad habit. Finish what you start. Why can't you tie it? I have tied down a lot of quilts. (Make sure everything is pinned down) I use an 18" hoop (before I got my quilting frame), start in the middle and fan out! If I feel it needs more tacking down, I add more ties, usually five per 12" block. Takes hardly any time at all. I use Perle Cotton thread. Then I cut it back, sew on the binding and finish it up by hand. Edie

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey
    I do very simple quilting on the smaller quilts, but I must confess, that I take my bigger quilts to someone else for quilting. Then I bring them home and bind them. I know that it is cheating to do this, but I'm just not ready to quilt a large quilt.
    Same with me... I will do the SMALL projects. But anything larger than a baby quilt I will send off.
    First ....my machine couldn't handle a large quilt
    Second - I would be afraid after all my piece work that I would "ruin" it....no confidence.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    Well, then, that's how all those 'quilt tops' end up in garage sales when the quilter dies and the kids don't know what to do with them.

Get busy, ladies. Get those tops quilted don't let them be wasted.
    Educate those kids! They can send them out to be quilted. They want a baby quilt to give as a gift, here is the top have it quilted and you can gift it! Problem solved at least for me.

Blog Entries
    ok the newbe here, query, why don't you finish one before you start another? Sounds like overdoing. at this time I only do one at a time,doll quilts mainly at this time, and hopefully I won't get bored. and of course y'all are doing the big quilts not the small ones, right? Guess that makes a difference too.

Organization of energy, effort, time? hehehehe, wonder how long it will be that I will be in the same boat you are in?

Quote Originally Posted by justme2
    I love making quilt tops,from K size to miniatures.The whole process from planning,cutting & piecing is fun,but not finishing them.Can't hand sew & my machine "quilting"is a joke :-)
    So my worst problem is piling up quilt tops.Once it's done, I'm off to next one....& so it goes.
    How do others handle that? What is your solution? Do you have a bad quilting habit?
    You can always donate them to your church (or a local church) quilting group! They will finish them, some will go into their annual bazaar to raise money for charities, others will go to good causes. In any case, you get to clean out so you can start new, AND you can choose what charity YOU want to support in the process! I volunteer at our church quilting group, and you'd be amazed how many people benefit, and how much they all appreciate it.

As for me, it's like quilting boot camp. I don't allow myself to start another until I finish the last one. Not much space!

Blog Entries
    Yeah!! Long lost relatives!!! We have a big family!! :D

Quote Originally Posted by sew inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by costumegirl
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I'm with you- really bad at finishing them. I go like a maniac and then get bored with the one I'm working on, especially if it's not turning out as well as I would like (like the one I'm working on now, a zillion things to match up at every stage) So......... I end up with too many tops.
    The sorta good news is when I leave them for awhile my interest becomes renewed and they look better than I remembered so then I finish them!!! :D
    LOL!!! Your comment fits me exactly!!! Are you sure we aren't long lost twins??
    Maybe we're triplets???
    :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

I have finished all my UFOs except 2 and that's because I sell them. My family said we were being overwhelmed by so many quilts that my daughter talked me into opening an on-line store. Now I get paid to keep me in new fabric and an excuse to make more. I do send my out to be quilted now though. I used to hand quilt all of them but time won't let me anymore.

Blog Entries
    Recently when I cleaned out and organized my quilting room (also my bedroom) I found 13 tops that were finished and ready to be sandwiched and quilted. I don't see this as a bad habit because when Jan in VA (a boardmember) asked for donations of quilts to send to her SIL's unit that is stationed in Afganistan I just went to the tote choose three and put them in a box and mailed them off to her. Had I not had these sitting in the tote I wouldn't have been able to help her because I was in the middle of peicing my sons wedding quilt. I will get around to quilting them someday or I will have tops to donate to worthy causes but if I had to completely finish one project before starting another I would still be on my first project!!

I can work on tops on my machine but putting them together is diffucult. I don't have a long arm, no room or money for one. I tried the block by block and that's diffucult too so mine sit for quite a while till I decide to tackle one.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast