Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Quilting Habit ?

There is a list of longarm quilters on this board. Check it to see if anyone is near you.

don't think it is necessary to finish all of them. If you have learnt something in the process ( and had a lot of fun and kept your mind active) then that is all that matters. I don't think you should allow yourself or others to make you feel guilty about having fun your way...nobody apologises for playing too much golf or buying too many clothes or partying or buying expensive football or basketball tickets. I say just go for it. Why should 'works in progress' be any more a bad habit than the other things I suggested?(Hope you enjoy the next project - I have 3 in progress, 4 half quilted and twenty finished ones in the cupboard right now...).

what a beautiful dog! He/she must keep you company and distracted from quilting!!! I got a quilter a year ago and we are still busy trying to be "friends" -- my mom has lots of quilt tops but I feel that I am not ready to attempt them!!! She asks constantly when am I going to be ready, but I tell her that my dogs (lab and cattle dog) are so dominant to my time that she will have to wait!!! I am so paranoid that I will not meet her expectations that I end up playing with the dogs or (ugh) doing housework!!! I am still practicing but I don't think I am ready to take on her tops!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    i piece tops and let them pile up until the urge to sandwich hits.

then i sandwich until i'm sick of it.

eventually, i find myself in the mood to attempt some quilting. i work that phase until the mood passes. sometimes i get more than one out of the way, sometimes not.

when i feel like struggling with the binding, out come the quilts that are quilted.

i work on whichever stage strikes my fancy on any given day. i don't consider that to be either a bad habit or a good one. that's just the way i roll. :lol:
    This is describing my method(s) exactly. I have only one minor??? recurring problem: my husband asks me every now & again (once was too often) when I am going to get his quilt finished. This question, which I perceive to be a criticism, causes a small explosion in my head, unpleasant, but has not killed me ... yet. I get over it soon enough, though and get back into my happy routine.

I too had that problem but no more, oh yeah, I have four quilt tops to be quilted at this time, but I have an excuse, I have been getting all my stuff ready for the church craft sale and for my shoulder surgery this Tues. So I won't be quilting for some time now.
    My solution was to buy a Grace quilting frame and machine -I got it in a package deal and then, I can quilt them myself. I am not a great quilter, just waves, loops, straight line and such, but it beats paying to have them quilted. Unless of course you want, beautiful quilting.
    Once you have quilted at least ten quilts you will have paid for your frame with the money you saved on quilting.

I also have declared defeat and now send anything larger than a lap size out to be quilted. It takes all of the stress off and my pile of quilt tops is now in a manageable state!

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    i piece tops and let them pile up until the urge to sandwich hits.

then i sandwich until i'm sick of it.

eventually, i find myself in the mood to attempt some quilting. i work that phase until the mood passes. sometimes i get more than one out of the way, sometimes not.

when i feel like struggling with the binding, out come the quilts that are quilted.

i work on whichever stage strikes my fancy on any given day. i don't consider that to be either a bad habit or a good one. that's just the way i roll. :lol:
    I'm glad to hear someone else has the habit of not finishing all at once. By the way, did you take the photo of the kitten in your Avatar and is it yours? I think it is the cutest thing ever. Have to look at it a little longer every time. Alpha

Having several projects at different stages just makes sense to me. I don't have a designated work place- the sewing machine is in the dining room, but the ironing board and cutting station move around. If I want to watch TV or visit with my husband I cut and iron in the living room. If he's not home or it's a quiet evening I sew. If I'm at my friends sewing together I take whatever is most portable at the time. So for where ever I want to be I have a project that's just right. I'm a full-time teacher and a part time piano teacher so grabbing those precious moments to indulge my new habit is sometimes difficult. This multi-tasking style works for me!

OMG!!!! Now I know what I have....future hierlooms and archeological (?spelling) finds....Boy, do I agree with that....we must be sisters!!!!

If you would like someone to finish them for you, I hand quilt for people, and I've had people from other states mail me their quilt tops.

most of my quilts I really enjoy quilting. once in a while I do get tired of one and just can't wait for it to be finished. I sure enjoy planning and piecing a new quilt though!

I too had the habit of making tops and piling them up and sent several out to be quilted and that gets into your pocket very fast so , I watched the ads in the paper and bought a used Nustyle quilting machine and have had excellant results with it. Now in about three hours I can pin one in and have it done with the pantograph patterns. Take it off the rollers, trim the edges, sew the binding on and then have an evening of slip stitching it down.
    I will give a tip I have learned the hard way, when making a top Be SURE to cut your binding at the same time and put the instructions you have with each UFO. That way yrs form now you will be able to finish it in style, ask me how I know ! ! I am 81 yrs old and just did finish a dutch bonnet girl quilt I pieced in 1951, and guess what, I had a hard time finding material to go with the Bubble Gum Pink sashing in the quilt. So I learned my lesson. Now as I am working I make enough binding for a large quilt , put it and even some of the scraps just in case in a plastic shoe box ready to use when the pain strikes me. I so enjoy all of your comments. The machine I bought is a plain Jane machine, no fancy stuff but it does have the long wooden table that is 12 ft long, a plastic roll on the table to put the patterns under, has a stylis and no computer stuff and it stitches wonderful. I have completed 20 in no time at all. I didnt have to give an arm and leg for it either. So they are out there IF you have the room for one dont be afraid to get one. You will enjoy it to no end.

Power Poster
    sometimes I finish a quilt, especially baby ones but I always have some in diffrent stages of waiting to be completed.

well if someone buys it at a yard sell it's because it's beautiful and they can't pass it by . Or they love it and want to finish it. Or that want to learn how to do it. at any rate they liked and bought it for a reason

Just this year I finally forced myself to clean out and re-arrange my stash, as well as my entire sewing room. My stash is in a second room. I had actually boxes of stuff that went to Project Linus people. But I got to the end and promised myself that I would be really very much better in future.

That included finishing the projects that I had stashed away along with every thing else. So, along with my nine-patch project this summer, I began to finish up my projects.

I have put bindings on quilts that have been waiting for a few YEARS; I have set about making a space to machine quilt some of the smaller projects such as kid's quilts - so far I've got a couple of them done. In the meantime, I am still setting my large quilt top. And trying to design a quilt I want to make for my friend. I have some new place mats I want to get done for this fall.

I do get very bored doing just the same thing all the time; but I do believe one could be very much more productive just doing one thing at a time. Sometimes I wonder where the time goes. But I'm winning. I think.

Blog Entries
    Wouldn't it be great if you could find someone that loves finishing and quilting? You could swap jobs. Yah, like that could ever happen, but it's a thought. I love cutting and sewing the blocks together but my favorite is the quilting part so I don't stop until I get to the quilting by hand. Then I can relax and really enjoy to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey
    I do very simple quilting on the smaller quilts, but I must confess, that I take my bigger quilts to someone else for quilting. Then I bring them home and bind them. I know that it is cheating to do this, but I'm just not ready to quilt a large quilt.
    Why is that cheating? i quilt my smaller quilts and send out the bigger ones b/c i can't seem to maneuver the larger ones. I do give my LAQuilter credit on my labels. Not cheating at all!

I use to do that but now I have a little girl in school so when I am waiting to pick her up I take a little quilt with me and I quilt while I am waitng. So at least I get the little ones finished. I usaully take one day out of the week and work on a big one. It takes a while to finish it because I hand quilt but they eventually get finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey
    I do very simple quilting on the smaller quilts, but I must confess, that I take my bigger quilts to someone else for quilting. Then I bring them home and bind them. I know that it is cheating to do this, but I'm just not ready to quilt a large quilt.
    This isnt cheating. Many of our quilting mom's and dad's out there do longarm quilting as a side job. My ufo's are almost always the top being done and not anything more. Sometimes it is because I lose interest, some times because I can't lift due to surgery, some times because I couldn't afford the batting or backing. I always end up going and finishing them and yes, they always look better than I remembered. Your are not alone.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    My bad habit is drinking coffee or tea while working on my stuff.........the HORROR stories I could tell, lol! This is a BAD habit, esp. with pets AND coffee!
    My bad habit seems to be thinking I have to cover every single surface AND the floor with fabric, scraps, rejected choices, 'maybe' fabric combos, threads, snippets, dropped scissors/rulers/seam rippers/pointers/insert-yours-here, dirty plate/bowl, glasses, used napkins, the detritus of daily life while I'm engrossed in the studio.

Can *anyone* else be as piggy I sometimes seem to be?! :oops:

Jan in VA
    Ladies, if you have extra quilt tops laying around, why not send them to Jan in Va. She is collecting quilts to send to some lonely soldiers in Afganistan. She will take the tops and have them quilted and finished. Her SIL has more than 100 men under his command and has asked for a little color to boost the men's morale. If you can help, please contact her. Support our troops.

Well, long ago I subscribed to the idea that "If the top's done, it's a quilt." I love the process much better than the product-- deciding on the pattern, picking out the fabrics, and watching everything change as the blocks/sections come together. Half way through a top, I'm thinking of the next project! I've made very few quilts I can't part with; my favorite usually is the next one :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deema
    I'm sure I have many "bad" habits...but I always finish what I'm working on before starting a new project. I won't even take new stuff out of the bag for more than admiring it and wistful planning. I work in my kitchen, I don't have room for more than one project at a time. lol I'm currently working with DD at quilting her quilt...I'm not happy with the quilting, but DD is and she's done a lot of the work on this one. It's her baby, so if she's happy, so am I. I'm itching to get started on my next one though. I LOVE the fabrics and can't wait to get started!
    WOW!!! You sure are disciplined!!! :wink: I think I currrently have about 5 UFOs, but at least 4 of them will be finished by the end of November -- three are Christmas gifts so I have to finish them!!! :oops:

[quote=moonwolf23]
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt addict
    When I helped my Mom last year switch her sewing room because the long arm would only fit in the master bedroom, we counted her tops. She had over 40 that are waiting to be quilted. She did most of them by hand so that is why they would accumulate. So I am sure my sister and I will have lots to do some day. Unfortunately, she is not warming to her new machine. But we keep encouraging her.

Why not go in there and use the LA yourself and help her finish those 40 UFO's?
    Problem is teh 1500 miles between us.
    :|

I hand quilted all my quilts until about 8 years ago, when I received an injury to my right shoulder now I'm not able to do any hand quilting so they are taken to my best friend and machine quilted. Don't beat yourself up.I have one I started quilting just before the injury and it is still wating. :D :thumbup:

I often wonder why so many feel that the binding part of the quilt is so difficult. I like that part the best. I stick with the simple 2.5 inch folded in half (not even on the bias). What I really love about it is that once that is sewed on, I'm free to leave my machine and hand stitch at my leisure. The thought of having a finished project pushes me to pick up the stitching often, until I'm done. Then I get to take a picture!

If you go on youtube, there are really great videos on how to do the bindings. I know they helped me a lot.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast