Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bag bottoms >

Bag bottoms

Bag bottoms

Old 10-12-2010, 05:03 AM

When we moved into this house, there was smooth panel on the walls in one of the rooms. We peeled it off and I cut pieces from that to put in the bottom of my purses and bags. I also make a cover for the bottoms to match the bags. It works great. No bending like cardboard, no flexing like some plastics. Works for me! Yes, always take the sharp edges off the corners.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:10 AM

I have wanted to use some of this also, and googled "wholesale plastic canvas" --- there are quite a few sites that sell it wholesale.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by newestnana
Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Not happy to hear that the Vera bags aren't washable because of the cardboard, I have one that needs a fresh up. My bag was a gift from DIL, in fact she and her DD's all have Vera bags. Have to pass this along to them. May in Jersery
I think you can remove the base from Vera bags for washing.
Yes, you can remove the cardboard from the Vera Bradley bags. I just washed one of mine yesterday. Am on my way upstairs to press it now.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:21 AM

For the bottom of purses I use foam core board approximately 1/4" thick, make a sleeve for it & fit it into the bottom, if needed take sleeve off wash & put back. Just enough support to keep your purse neat.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:31 AM

If there is a Hobby Lobby near you checn them. They sometimes sell the plastic canvas in large sheets, something like 2 ft by 3 ft.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:15 AM

A friend who went to a bag making class said that if you had old cutting mats that were pretty much worn out and ready to toss out, to use them for the bottom stabiier
pieces.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:26 AM

What I use is the empty centers from bolts, nice and stiff, of fabrics. Some stores don't want to give them to you, but where I buy my material they will give them to me.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:27 AM

i use the foam core board from wal mart one sheet will make lots of bottoms and i make a fabric sleeve to match the purse
Old 10-12-2010, 06:45 AM

Hi everyone!!! I don't usually add any remakes but today I had to. I go to the Dollar Store & buy foam board sheet. They are HUGE, & I can get multiple bag bottoms for just a $1.00. I just cut them to the size of my purse bottom with an old rotary cutting blade I've saved for all that non-fabric cutting we do. Hope this helps us all save money!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
What do you use for the stabilizers in the bottom of the purses you all make? How much do you pay for those pieces?

What size do you use or need most often?

Where does anyone buy their plastic canvas?
WM quilt selling it, Michaels (our local one) only gets in 12 sheets a week and is telling the customers they can't order more than that!
My husband being a real estate agent, he cuts his old signs in the sizes I need for my Bow Tucks Bag, they're very sturdy. I then sew a sleeve to fit it in.