Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bag bottoms >

Bag bottoms

Bag bottoms

Old 10-12-2010, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by colleen53
dh goes to our local home depot... it's 1/8 " thick by 4x4 sheet.. you use it for bottoms in dressers and etc.. its a dark brown color.. I don't know the term name for it. It's 2 bucks and change for a sheet.. dh cuts it into about 16 pieces.. so very cheap and it is soooo sturdy.. you could use it as a defense board if need be!!! lol
anyways.. that is what i use in mine.
That's what I use in mine, too. DH says it is called masonite, but here in PA it runs about 5.97 for a 2'x4' sheet, but you can get pretty many bottoms out of it, well worth it!!

Kathi in PA
Old 10-12-2010, 03:05 PM

I use cardboard. Wrap in a fabric sleeve to match lining. Lightweight and removable for washing.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:19 PM

Right after Christmas last year, one of the chain stores had the stiff plastic placemats on sale @4 for a dollar. I bought several and have used them in the bottoms of my bags.I can make at least 4 or 5 out of one placemat! I make a fabric sleeve to cover them. Works perfectly!! :thumbup: :-D :-D
Old 10-12-2010, 03:43 PM

I've used BagEBottoms(?) but they only come in certain sizes. I've also used matte board - the kind used for pictures.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by JoAnnGC
I use foam core poster board from Hobby Lobby or the local dollar store. I make a fabric sleeve to fit snugly over it and then hot glue or slip stitch the open end closed. This is inexpensive and can be cut easily with an exacto or razor knife.
I do the same thing. Easy and inexpensive. :thumbup:
Old 10-12-2010, 04:33 PM

I have used the buckram that is used for drapery making, and that works well if your bag bottom is not very wide.. I also have used the plastic place mats, and like another quilter wrote, they are usually in expensive, and you can get several from one mat. I make a sleeve, and hand stitch the end,,,,, sure beats the expensive purse bottoms.

also, I shop goodwilll shops for purses that have nice metal holdings for the straps, then I cut the original strap off, and use them on the straps of the purses I make. sure beats the price of purse handles in the LQS... also, sometimes I use the entire leather handles , as they are many times in very good shape too.

I love making purses,,,,and have more patterns than I'll ever use....must be a weakness on my part.

Jacie
Old 10-12-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
What do you use for the stabilizers in the bottom of the purses you all make? How much do you pay for those pieces?

What size do you use or need most often?

Where does anyone buy their plastic canvas?
WM quilt selling it, Michaels (our local one) only gets in 12 sheets a week and is telling the customers they can't order more than that!
Got an old cutting mat that is no longer good for its original purpose? It makes GREAT stabilizer in your bags! Just cut to fit!
Old 10-12-2010, 05:46 PM

You could also use baltic birch which you can find at Home Depot and ask it to be cut the size you want.

Also I have see lots of left over acryllic that are the rements of using the acryllic for something else.

One time I had 5 rulers cute various sizes that were common, like 2 1/2 3" 5" 6" etc. when i lived on Cape Cod. A gentleman had made a whole bunch of them for Heartbeat Quilting. They worked great. Lynne Plotner Pierce

Surrpise AZ.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:46 PM

You could also use baltic birch which you can find at Home Depot and ask it to be cut the size you want.

Also I have see lots of left over acryllic that are the rements of using the acryllic for something else.

One time I had 5 rulers cute various sizes that were common, like 2 1/2 3" 5" 6" etc. when i lived on Cape Cod. A gentleman had made a whole bunch of them for Heartbeat Quilting. They worked great. Lynne Plotner Pierce

Surrpise AZ.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:00 PM
PEP

Hi, quiltingrannie! I making a purse right now, so I ordered the Bag-E-Bottom from the same on-line store from whom I purchased the purse pattern. But depending on the size you need, have you ever given thought to using either the sides or bottom of your laundry detergent container, or even an empty, plastic, gallon milk container?
The cut acrylic from one of the lumber supply stores will probably work better, but. . . Good luck with your project!
Patty in Ohio