Bali Pops Laundry Experiment & Results >

Bali Pops Laundry Experiment & Results

Bali Pops Laundry Experiment & Results

Old 05-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for sharing!
Old 05-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

I must say that was very smart. Now you have seams that will not be letting loose with threads all over the place and you know that your colors are safe. Thanks for telling us about your proceedure (sp).
Old 05-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing your idea!
Old 05-16-2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
Great thinking ahead! Glad your top is still in great condition and ready to quilt!

As far as where to buy the color catchers, I got mine at the regular grocery store in the same aisle as the detergent and other laundry stuff.
I went to my little local grocery store looking for insect repellent for the grandkids and saw the shout color catchers there. So I bought a box and am now washing my dark reds for my next quilt.
Thanks for all the tips and good advice. I love this quilters' board!
Old 05-16-2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by weezie
Perhaps the following info. will be useful to some of you.

We've discussed issues with the Bali Pop packs of 2-1/2"-wide strips. One of those issues is fabric washing/bleeding. I made the 5-braid-strip French braid with unwashed Bali Pops. Because they weren't pre-washed, I also did not pre-wash the dark outer border. This was the first quilt top I've ever made without pre-washing; however, there's no way I would sandwich and quilt an unwashed quilt that has dark colors in it, so here is what I did:

I need a piece of muslin for the box spring cover part of a bed skirt I'm going to make soon, so I cut the bed skirt muslin piece extra large ... as large as the Fr. braid quilt top. I then machine basted it all the way around the edges to the wrong side of the FB top, thereby sealing in all the seam allowances to prevent a loose thread stampede in my washing machine. I then washed it on "color" setting with 3 Shout color catcher sheets that were in a mesh bag.

The results: other than being really wrinkled, the quilt top looks fine, the Shout sheets are stained and the muslin is no longer snow white ... it is kind of off-white, but it is uniform with no splotches and will still be used for the bed skirt.

So, although I have a huge pressing job to do now on the quilt top, I am so relieved that it is not ruined.

I just finished the Capuccino Boxed Squares II, using Hoffman Bali Pops Cappuccino Jelly rolls, reading your idea makes me think that I should wash the quilt now before quilting is done since it will be given away as a gift.
Thank you for your sugestion.