Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Bamboo batting

  1. #1
    Super Member sahm4605's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Blue Springs, MO
    Posts
    2,240
    OHHHHHH!!! I am really in love with it. I just got out of the wash last night two small doll quilts made with bamboo batting. and they are really really really wonderful. i can't wait till I get my ds's twin done and in the wash to see how a large one turns out. but so far it is really really nice. I got a 100% bamboo from wintextiles. they do a lot of the larger quilt shows. When the quilt show comes back in march ish to the KC area I plan on getting more. if we have the money to do it. I would love to get a whole roll but hubby would have a porcupine if i did. if you can try even a small size, i would give it a try. you might find that you really like it. there are probably cheaper battings but I really like this one. (got expensive tastes i guess. hehe) I just had to share it with you guys because hubby doesn't get it.

  2. #2
    Super Member AngieS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Western Kentucky
    Posts
    3,255
    I've never heard of it.....will have to be on the look out!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Millstream Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Posts
    545
    (Green with envy!!) I saw some samples on a display board at our fabric store and thought "OMG! What is THIS?". It felt sooooo nice! Then I saw the price and nearly choked. I'll have to wait until after Christmas before I can splurge..... unless Santa wants to bring me some :) I've been good....sorta!

  4. #4
    Super Member cctx.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas (that's me!)
    Posts
    4,874
    Blog Entries
    2
    JoAnn's has it. I got a king size batting last year with the half off coupon and it was worth it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member quiltingaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    661
    I have not used it but have felt samples in the store and it sure felt wonderful. I will have to check out Joann's here and see if I can try some.

  6. #6
    Super Member sahm4605's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Blue Springs, MO
    Posts
    2,240
    I looked at Joanns and theirs is actually not 100% bamboo. it is like 80/20 or something. still nice but if you can try a 100% you will really like it a lot. But that is if i remember right.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Yulee Florida
    Posts
    1,075
    I have seen it and it quilts up nicely but it sure is a lil on the pricey side right now. LIke all new things ..... One day I will get to try using it.

  8. #8
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,211
    well, I'm just curious. Why so pricey? isn't it recycled?

  9. #9
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,046
    I havent tried it yet....sounds really nice!

  10. #10
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    How closely do you have to quilt bamboo?

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    2,048
    I bought bamboo batting a couple of years ago at Walmart (maybe that was the problem) and used it in a small quilt for DH's car. The quilt had a lot of black fabric and the bamboo that I had bearded terribly, so I would not use it again. Apparently that has not been a problem for others on this post. I was working on a baby quilt for my DGD and was thankful that I didn't use it for hers.

  12. #12
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,167
    Blog Entries
    1
    oh i agree! i loved the bamboo batting too. i used a queen one and i usually LOVE the wool batts ( I still do) but that bamboo ... it was so soft and lofty and needled easily...still waiting the test of time but it's been washed probably 6 times and has not lost any of it's beauty. (and it's used on a 14 year old's bed)for 2 years now.

  13. #13
    Aunt Retta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    West Jordan, Utah
    Posts
    668
    Oh yes I have looked at the bamboo batting and touched it. It is lovely!

  14. #14
    montanablu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    seemingly in the land of infants & toddlers!
    Posts
    582
    Quote Originally Posted by Mousie
    well, I'm just curious. Why so pricey? isn't it recycled?
    isn't most everything recycled or 'green' expensive??! Recycled paper products are outrageous! Maybe they think since so many of us want to go green that we'll pay the extra?

  15. #15
    Kas
    Kas is offline
    Super Member Kas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    2,044
    Quote Originally Posted by montanablu
    Quote Originally Posted by Mousie
    well, I'm just curious. Why so pricey? isn't it recycled?
    isn't most everything recycled or 'green' expensive??! Recycled paper products are outrageous! Maybe they think since so many of us want to go green that we'll pay the extra?
    Natural bamboo is rough like linen. Bamboo processed into rayon is soft and silky. So it is just rayon made from bamboo instead of other plant material.

  16. #16
    Super Member jemma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    adelaide /australia
    Posts
    1,394
    it is great to use ---but be carefull apparently it is very flammable

  17. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Burlington, NC
    Posts
    1,772
    I will have to check our JoAnn's here. It is small so I doubt if they have it. Maybe I better wait till I get a coupon if it is as expensive as everyone is hinting at.

  18. #18
    Super Member quilterella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Small town south of Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    1,702
    Blog Entries
    1
    BECAREFUL: I read on here somwhere(meaning the internet) in the past couple of weeks, that they are pulling fabric made with bamboo due to the high toxin levels. I would be very leary of using the batting, because obviously it has been treated as well. I will have to see if I can find the article and post a link.

  19. #19
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,167
    Blog Entries
    1
    those of you who tried some (knock-off) bamboo batt from walmart really should find a good bamboo batt (the dream company's is wonderful) and try it again..you will be amazed at the difference in quality, preformance, and outcome. watch for your favorite lqs to have a sale, or try an online shop having a sale. it is so worth the price.

  20. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NYS Finger Lakes Region
    Posts
    1,177
    Blog Entries
    2
    Well, once again, members of the Board are educating me. I have never looked into bamboo batting since I've never heard of anyone who has used it. I will continue to read your input----flammable, toxic, etc. before deciding to jump. I am anxious to try the very best as a test if it proves to be safe in my sewing projects.

  21. #21
    Super Member Treasureit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    2,938
    I have used Bamboo for a couple quilts now and I too love it. I also like the smell...not strong just different.

    The only problem I had was on my last quilt when I used a batik backing and it stuck like glue to the batting. That created a problem with trying to center it and smooth it out. I have never used a batik for backing before so maybe that would have happened with some other batting too.

    I love the feel and lightness of it. My batting bag said to quilt up to 8" apart. (someone asked that question.)

  22. #22
    Super Member sahm4605's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Blue Springs, MO
    Posts
    2,240
    It is a very "sticky" batting I found also. and I used just a simple cotton backing on my sons quilt. but that is okay if you get it down real well first then the batting.

  23. #23
    Super Member Treasureit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    2,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit
    I have used Bamboo for a couple quilts now and I too love it. I also like the smell...not strong just different.

    The only problem I had was on my last quilt when I used a batik backing and it stuck like glue to the batting. That created a problem with trying to center it and smooth it out. I have never used a batik for backing before so maybe that would have happened with some other batting too.

    I love the feel and lightness of it. My batting bag said to quilt up to 8" apart. (someone asked that question.)
    I should add that I can't work on the floor because of bad knees so I am working on my cutting table that isn't big enough...that is a problem with all quilts for me.

  24. #24
    Tracy50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605
    OHHHHHH!!! I am really in love with it. I just got out of the wash last night two small doll quilts made with bamboo batting. and they are really really really wonderful. i can't wait till I get my ds's twin done and in the wash to see how a large one turns out. but so far it is really really nice. I got a 100% bamboo from wintextiles. they do a lot of the larger quilt shows. When the quilt show comes back in march ish to the KC area I plan on getting more. if we have the money to do it. I would love to get a whole roll but hubby would have a porcupine if i did. if you can try even a small size, i would give it a try. you might find that you really like it. there are probably cheaper battings but I really like this one. (got expensive tastes i guess. hehe) I just had to share it with you guys because hubby doesn't get it.
    I got a pair of socks made from bamboo yarn from Bar Harbor, Maine, in 2008, while on Vacation and I wear them around the house. They are the most comfortable socks I have ever owned. So I expect the batting would be very soft and durable as well, cuz it's been 2 1/2yrs, and these socks still look the same! I gotta get some of that batting! I like wool batting too.
    t

  25. #25
    Super Member janedee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    canterbury uk
    Posts
    1,030
    I love it - used it in my daughters wedding quilt and hand quilted beautifully - didn't even have to use a thimble as the needle went thru so easy - over here in the UK is is very reasonably priced would definitely use it again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.