Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo batting from walmart

Have used the Dream bamboo on my longarm and it needles very nice and drapes beautiful. Have not used the bamboo from Walmart as it does not seem to have much body.

I used bamboo batting on some kids quilts just because it is so light. I figured it was less for them to tote around. I thought it quilted up very nice. I don't think I would use it on a big quilt that I was using for warmth.

I love Bamboo as a fiber for just about everything. I use Bamboo batting and love to quilt with it, both machine and hand. I also am hooked on Bamboo socks. Warmer and softer than cotton. I buy mine from Dharma Trading because I also like to dye. My kids get them in their Christmas boxes, to match their Tie-Dyed Tees, they are hooked on them. I am looking forward to more Bamboo fiber products in the future. When cotton is getting more and more expensive and needs such intensive farm practices, Bamboo is a good future alternative clothing fiber as it is easy to grow, and has excellent wicking properties.

I too love Bamboo. Our Walmart will get it when pigs fly from the depths of a place that recently froze over.

Anyway, I've machine and hand quilted it. I find it's low scrim is perfect when I feel it as I go. The first time I used it, I told dh I wasn't sure why they made a batting that felt so nice you could just wrap yourself up in it. I was drawn to it because I saw it advertised that it will reflect your own warmth in the winter and repel it in the summer therefore heating or cooling the user of the quilt. At first, I thought it was malarky, but it's similar advertising used to vend bamboo wood flooring.

I have now inherited the quilt I made for my Gramma back. It's 54 inches square and I used it to cover up with at work because it was so cold. I couldn't believe how warm I felt! I don't prewash my batting either, but it seemed to shrink less than other batts I've used. I love it and buy it every chance I get.

I have used Bamboo batting in both small quilts and for handbags and totes, and I love it. I get the Fusi-Boo Brand that Hancock Fabrics sells, and just a light pressing with a wool setting on your iron fuses it just enough so that nothing shifts when you are quilting. Haven't had any problems at all with it, but it is more expensive than other brands. According to the directions, you are not supposed to prewash it.

I just finished my second quilt using bamboo batting. I love the feel - lush and had no problems with the actual quilting, but it sheds like crazy. The one I just finished is a black, white and red string quilt. I had to take a toothbrush and brush each couple of feet or so of fabric before stitching, so I wouldn't sew the fluff into it. Washed it and machine dried it and gave it a good going over with a lint roller and it was just fine. Gave it to my friend on Monday and she is delighted with it. It is a lap quilt and I didn't really want much weight to it. But I won't use it again.

I just finished my second quilt using bamboo batting. I love the feel - lush and had no problems with the actual quilting, but it sheds like crazy. The one I just finished is a black, white and red string quilt. I had to take a toothbrush and brush each couple of feet or so of fabric before stitching, so I wouldn't sew the fluff into it. Washed it and machine dried it and gave it a good going over with a lint roller and it was just fine. Gave it to my friend on Monday and she is delighted with it. It is a lap quilt and I didn't really want much weight to it. But I won't use it again.

I wish I could help - they just got rid of all the fabric in the Walmart nearest me - there is a big open aisle where the cutting table and pattern cabinet were - they put stoage contains on the fabric shelves - very depressing

I think everything Bamboo is great stuff. Wears good and grows so darn fast you can't over use it. With that said I don't know a darn thing about if it is good for batting.

If I was a gambler I would bet on it doing well.

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I've been wondering about bamboo batting. I appreciate your comments.

Since I first tried the bamboo batting, its all I use now for quilting. I buy it by the roll locally. It is nice and soft, washes great in quilts and probably will keep on using it.

all very good information....thanks everyone for sharing!!!

But, having read this entire thread, there appears to be no consensus on the traits of bamboo; I must therefore assume the jury is still out!

BTW, growing bamboo is extremely water intensive. The crop would not be cost effective in Texas. Maybe parts of La, Ms, Al.

I wouldn't think it would need pre-washing any more than any of the other batting out there, and as for shrinkage, I would not expect bamboo to shrink.

Keep us advised.
    found these sites...hope it helps.

http://feelingsimplyquilty.blogspot....ng-review.html

http://isewblog.blogspot.com/2008/07/oh-bamboo.html

I am a longarm quilter, and bamboo is a dream to quilt! It drapes nicely. I have not used Walmart's brand, so I can't really speak to their product.

i've used bamboo, i think it was fairfield, 2x, and really liked it.
    i didn't think it was flimsy or limp. it is a little more money than warm and natural but i get it with a coupon. i use it on my long arm, had no tension issues (maybe i was lucky) and see no reason not to use it again if the price is right the shrinkage is about the same and i don't wash batting..

I like bamboo batting. It's perfect for Arizona's climate. Bamboo breathes - offering warmth in the winter and wicking moisture away from the body when it's hot. It's antibacterial so it's great for people with allergies and skin sensitivities. It shrinks the normal 2-3% but it's that shrinkage that makes a quilt look like a quilt! :)

i agree about the comfort. in new jersey it's humid in the summer and clammy in the winter. the bamboo is very comfortable and still lightweight.

Yes I have found that it shrinks about the same as cotton as well. I wash before I use. The other thing I have found is that it 'fluffs' in the bobbin casing and the machine needs regular cleaning.

I have made four quilts with it that have been used. I am not including my UFOs here. They have all been machine washed, one pretty much weekly (the one in my Avatar), and I love it. It has a lovely loft, and it makes a great cover up here in Australia on hot nights. It is also nice on cold nights as an extra blanket. It does beard a bit, but so does cotton in the quilt my GF made us.

Blog Entries
    Wow, apparently all Bamboo batts are not created equally. I used a 50/50 bamboo/cotton batt (Koyoto) in the quilt in my avatar. I hand quilted it and totally loved it. I did not preshrink but washed it once the quilt was completed and dried it in the drier on the regular perma press cycle and it came out just beautiful. That quilt is so soft it just melts around you like butter. My daughter and Son-IL love it too.
    Rose

I first used bamboo batting over a year ago and would not use anything else now. It washes easily, is warm in winter, cool in summer and goes through the sewing machine like a dream. I guess it would be the same as other battings as in you get what you pay for.

Gee, based on everyones input, I may have to try this.:)

FYI Joanns is clearancing their queen size bamboo batting reg. 42.99 for 9.99. I picked one up to try it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I bought a bamboo batt from another company this weekend and compared it to the walmart...they are like night and day...the walmart one is very limp and lifeless, while the other one is has body, substance, and is less fuzzy feeling!

So I would venture to say that just because the label says bamboo (viscose) does not mean it is the one you are wanting...know your batts!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast