Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bamboo fabric >

Bamboo fabric

Bamboo fabric

Old 02-20-2017, 09:01 PM

Default Bamboo fabric

I was given a beautiful piece of tan bamboo fabric, it is 3-5 yards( haven't measured it yet). I was thinking of using it for a quilt back because it is quite big and feels wonderful. Has anyone used bamboo fabric or can tell me anything about it? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

About 2007 the little quilt shop I was working in had a lime of bamboo fabrics in, I'm pretty sure I still have a few scraps from that line. They are very nice fabrics. As you stated they feel wonderful. Are silky soft, smooth. Easy to sew by machine and by hand. I made a couple table runners that have held up really well and used them in a few quilt blocks. No fading, no shrinking, no issues 10 years later.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:26 AM

Fabrics made from bamboo are rayon. The bamboo fibers are soaked in a bunch of chemicals until it turns into a slurry, then they are converted into rayon thread, yarn or fabric. Rayon behaves very similar to cotton for piecing/quilting. It holds dye longer. It will not crinkle very much.

I personally would not use it for a baby quilt but other than that you can work with it the same as cotton. It will partially melt/bead during a burn test & can rarely produce a sensitivity/allergic reaction in some people (I happen to be one. My hands turn red just from folding my mother's rayon sheets, but she loves them because they barely get any wrinkles & are super soft & cooler than cotton to sleep under).

Note: rayon should be pressed at a lower temp than cotton.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Fabrics made from bamboo are rayon. It will not crinkle very much.

My hands turn red just from folding my mother's rayon sheets, but she loves them because they barely get any wrinkles & are super soft & cooler than cotton to sleep under).
Is the rayon used for clothes different? I always avoid rayon clothes because of the awful wrinkling you get with rayon. .