Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baptist Fan >

Baptist Fan

Baptist Fan

Old 11-23-2015, 10:44 AM

Default Baptist Fan

I really like the look of the baptist fan quilting pattern and I've used it a couple of times for hand quilting. Meanwhile I "graduated" to machine quilting, but I'm still very much a newbie, hence my question: Is the baptist fan doable by machine? If yes, should I use a walking foot or FMQ? Thanks for your help!
Old 11-23-2015, 10:48 AM
RST

Of course it's doable. As to which method, that would depend on your skills, the size of the piece, how tight your fan curve is, and probably a bunch of other factors. I have successfully used a walking foot on rather large and loose curves on a smaller quilt or one with a lower loft batting. Work out your strategy, and maybe even diagram it out and post it above your machine for easy reference. I'm pretty confident as a FMQer now, and I'd probably go that route most times, but not with the expectation of following any lines perfectly -- I'm much more of a doodle and improvise quilter.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:55 AM

I haven't done them, but I see an interesting article on machine quilting a baptist fan here http://www.dontcallmebetsy.com/2012/...tist-fans.html
Old 11-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

I have seen continuous Baptist Fan for the longarm as well as a plastic template for FMQ from Westalee for the ruler foot for regular sewing machines. If you study the Baptist Fan for longarm pattern you can probably do it FMQ if you mark it.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:57 AM

Yes. Definitely mark your quilt so you have something to serve as a visual reference. After that, it's just a matter of practice, but as long as you don't make them too tiny, it really isn't that hard to sew a basic curved line with a darning/FMQ foot. On your first attempt, I'd try to match my thread to the background & go with a 50wt thread (although, I didn't take my own advice & used a 40wt and I'm still pretty happy with it). You will miss the line on occasion & probably your stitches won't all be the same size, but it's a learning process & truly from 2' away, no one will notice the size of your stitches (i.e., don't try FMQ for the first time on a quilt you plan to enter in competition).
Old 11-23-2015, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

Of course it is doable but doing it FMQ. there are just a few placed where you stitches will need to overlay.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Of course it is doable but doing it FMQ. there are just a few placed where you stitches will need to overlay.
Good point! Since I am just learning to hand quilt, I was amazed that you hide the thread inside the sandwich when traveling from one area to the next. With machine quilting, it's considered acceptable to travel stitch over previous stitches and/or in the "ditch". You should definitely SITD before starting a curved design (probably with any design, but especially curves & feathers as it pulls the quilt out of shape if it's not anchored before you start FMQ). The very best award winning machine quilters can get their travel stitches exactly on top of the previous stitches & some even try to hit the same needle holes, but I personally think it still looks okay as long as you are no more than a thread's width off the prior line. Of course, I'm always working to improve my FMQ skills & try to overlap the line more precisely.