Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Barb_MO Bargello Tutorial *-* Sewing one section

Blog Entries
    Here's the other direction. I think this is the way I will make it. :)

Colors are much brighter in person!
    Name:  Attachment-113629.jpe
Views: 184
Size:  82.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    I like this layout, I've used it several times.
    Once the quilt if finished and on the bed, there won't be a designation as to top or bottom. It and it will look different by turning the quilt end for end. I never can tell if I like the hill or the valley the best.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_MO
    I like this layout, I've used it several times.
    Once the quilt if finished and on the bed, there won't be a designation as to top or bottom. It and it will look different by turning the quilt end for end. I never can tell if I like the hill or the valley the best.
    Have all the panels done. Will be finishing the top today. Can't wait.

Blog Entries
    Okay. The top is done! Now for the very intimidating part. As you know, I am a hand quilter but think this should be machine quilted. I have never done this except on the little square I practiced on and posted. I am really at a standstill here. Have to think about it a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Okay. The top is done! Now for the very intimidating part. As you know, I am a hand quilter but think this should be machine quilted. I have never done this except on the little square I practiced on and posted. I am really at a standstill here. Have to think about it a bit.
    You are fast sewer! How long did it take you to put this together, two or three days?
    Do you plan to put a border on, or do you consider it finished? I'm going to download your picture and do some marking on it to show you how one of these was quilted that I saw in a quilt shop one day....that is if I can do this in my photo editor.
    be back soon.

I can't draw feathers very good, but maybe you can get the picture. Feathers in the yellow/gold spacesand staight line through the others. Could probably space them out about as I did and those could be done with you walking foot corner to corner up the hill and down again. You migh get a feather stencil for the rest.

suggested mark up with quilting lines
    Name:  Attachment-113742.jpe
Views: 183
Size:  78.6 KB

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the suggestions. That will look pretty if I can do it. Real reluctant to start it - afraid I will mess up my pretty top! I'll be working on it. I think I might put a border on it. (Yes, it didn't take very long to put it together once I "got it" and got started. I sure am grateful to you for your help.

Thanks for the suggestions. That will look pretty if I can do it. Real reluctant to start it - afraid I will mess up my pretty top! I'll be working on it. I think I might put a border on it. (Yes, it didn't take very long to put it together once I "got it" and got started. I sure am grateful to you for your help.
    You could just do the lines every three rows or so, I've seen them that way too and they look nice.
    I still haven't quilted the one I did while doing the tutorial. I've been working on so many other projects through the summer, but about time I finished some UFOs.
    Don't forget to post a picture of the finished quilt in the Photo Section for all to see and admire. You can add that posting to the Bargello Quilts in the Virtual Section at that time or I will do it for you.

Blog Entries
    Ok, will do. May be a little bit. I'm sure this won't go as fast as the piecing. Looking forward to seeing your finished quilt, too.

Blog Entries
    Oh Ganny, your Bargello is absolutely amazing! It hypnotizes me. I like it both ways. I like it very much! Good job! Fast job. Your quick. Excellent!
    Barb, thank you for being there for all of us. Excellent instruction and guidance. We all appreciate you very much.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dsb38327
    Oh Ganny, your Bargello is absolutely amazing! It hypnotizes me. I like it both ways. I like it very much! Good job! Fast job. Your quick. Excellent!
    Barb, thank you for being there for all of us. Excellent instruction and guidance. We all appreciate you very much.
    Thanks, Dorothy. I am really afraid I am about to mess it up with the machine quilting, tho. Have to add a border, too, but it will be a small one.

You did a great job but I don't think feathers is the way to go with a bargello. You don't want to distract from the "movement" of the design by adding a quilting design that will compete with the quilt. Keep it simple. Stitch in the ditch is all you need :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by retired2pa
    You did a great job but I don't think feathers is the way to go with a bargello. You don't want to distract from the "movement" of the design by adding a quilting design that will compete with the quilt. Keep it simple. Stitch in the ditch is all you need :)
    Will consider this, too. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Ok, will do. May be a little bit. I'm sure this won't go as fast as the piecing. Looking forward to seeing your finished quilt, too.
    Barb, How do you sew a feather design with a regular machine (or can you)? Seems to me there would be a lot of stopping and starting or maybe backtracking? I don't know. Thanks.

Barb, How do you sew a feather design with a regular machine (or can you)? Seems to me there would be a lot of stopping and starting or maybe backtracking? I don't know. Thanks.
    I haven't quilted any feathers yet on my home machine, but know it can be done. You, of course use the free motion foot and drop the feed dogs. You can draw the pattern on or do it free motion.
    There are a lot of good videos on Utube on machine quilting. one place to check out http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/ I'm sure she has some feather designs.

Blog Entries
    I have looked at designs and have decided on what I would like to do, but if I am going to try to do a design over the whole quilt, how do I get my design on the quilt? I cannot do one free hand just yet.

I have looked at designs and have decided on what I would like to do, but if I am going to try to do a design over the whole quilt, how do I get my design on the quilt? I cannot do one free hand just yet.
    What design are you going to use.
    Ganny, I'm not really a machine quilter....I just started quilting with my domestic machine last winter. I haven't done anything larger that a twin size, and most of those were following block lines and simple free motion, so I can't be much help that the quilting.
    If you want to post your quilt top in the Photo sections asking for help regarding the quilting, many experienced quilter will be able to help you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_MO
    What design are you going to use.
    Ganny, I'm not really a machine quilter....I just started quilting with my domestic machine last winter. I haven't done anything larger that a twin size, and most of those were following block lines and simple free motion, so I can't be much help that the quilting.
    If you want to post your quilt top in the Photo sections asking for help regarding the quilting, many experienced quilter will be able to help you.
    Thanks, Barb. I think I know what I want to try to do just don't know if I can do it on my small machine. The quilt is so large, I really have to wrestle with it. If my one last plan does not work, I will hand quilt it. I know I can do that! :thumbup: Thanks for all your help, Barb.

Blog Entries
    Can't wait to see it.

beautiful lots of talent here thanks for the print out

Will be looking forward to seeing it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3